[Student Grades] Ability to add grades from Student Grades Page

Teachers should be able to click on the individual student name from the gradebook and then change grades and add comments from the Students Grade Page (which shows all assignments from that one student). The teacher already gets an overall sense of the student's progress from this page the added ability to comment on the missing assignments, and add late assignment scores would be beneficial. If a student has a lot of missing work, there is no scrolling back and forth etc as there is on the Gradebook page.

There was a similar request: Modify student grades in Individual Gradebook View  but the solutions given were not ideal. Speedgrader does not display all of a student's grades and the current Individual view in Gradebook is cumbersome and not very intuitive.

Added to Theme

Improve Gradebook settings options Theme Status: Identified

11 Comments
jordan
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

This idea has moved to the next stage and will be open for voting among the Canvas Community, from Wed. September 7, 2016 - Wed. December 7, 2016.

Check out this doc for additional details about how the voting process works! Smiley Wink

jennette_shepar
Community Novice

J- Thank you for posting this idea! This has been something that I have been wanting to post about for a while.  Inputting late grades in the gradebook or just general updating after assignments have been graded is quite the chore.  Allowing this to be done within the student view would help a lot. Smiley Happy

twil3
Community Novice

Once again, if a change can reduce the requirement to do things twice or even three times, it will save time, work and many times frustration.

Jeff_F
Community Champion

I prefer the development time be spent on other areas to include making the current SpeedGrader and Grades areas the best they can be.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

The Radar idea stage has been removed from the Feature Idea Process.  You can read more about why in the blog post Adaptation: Feature Idea Process Changes.

This change will only impact the stage sort of this idea and will not change how it is voted on or how it is considered during prioritization activities.  This change will streamline the list of ideas 'open for voting', making it easier for you to see the true top voted ideas in one sort, here.

srbrassfield
Community Participant

One reason this feature is important is that when a student comes to talk to me about their grade, in order to avoid showing them my whole gradebook and violating the privacy and FERPA rights of the other students in the class, I need to be able to enter the individual student grades page from "People" and make all necessary changes (both to grades and to due dates/availability dates) quickly and without bringing up the gradebook view.  

jim_shaffer1
Community Explorer

Screen Shot 2021-10-29 at 12.41.22 PM.jpg

When conferencing with students, I often have numerous assignments that need to be updated or graded.   Being able to simply click in the score column and manually enter a score would be much more efficient than having to click on the link on the assignment name, then "Speed Grader" then fixing the score.

The same is true with learning outcomes.   Being able to make changes on the student grade screen would be much more efficient.

Screen Shot 2021-10-29 at 12.49.22 PM.jpg

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team