Ability to change a users role without deleting the user

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Idea will be open for vote June 3rd, 2015 - September 2nd, 2015  Learn more about voting...

Currently, to change a users role on a course, the user has to be deleted and added back in.  This results in additional, unnecessary invitations to the course.  It would be great if we could simply change or add roles to the user without deleting.

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through theCanvas Production Release Notes (2016-01-09)

People

Edit Enrollment Type

57 Comments
kmeeusen
Community Champion

Hi Erik:

As Scott noted, in Canvas users' roles (except the admin role) are fluid and depend on the role assigned to them at the course level.

As an admin, you can find the user's enrollments by looking them up in your admin console, below their profile information you will see all of their enrollment, and below the course name you will see their role in that course listed as teacher, or student or observer, etc.

I hope this helps.

KLM

kmeeusen
Community Champion

Hey Erik:

It sounds to me that you are new to Canvas, and that is not something to apologize for! In fact, welcome to the wonderful world of Canvas and welcome to the Canvas Community! You will find that Community members, coaches and managers love to answer questions; and from my perspective I love to answer newbie questions! I wish this Community had existed when my partner and I first started as Canvas admins four years ago!

Keep those questions coming!

And for the record: How did you intend to cook that crow? Fried, boiled (not recommended), baked?

KLM

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

ROI.png

Thank you to  @egronikowski  for submitting this idea, as well as, sriddle​,  @kona ​, &  @Chris_Hofer ​,  @r_v_jones ​, tim.mcgee​, frankel​, cms_hickss​,  @KristinL ​,  @hvaughn ​, vrs07nl​,  @sharris ​, pohlmanma​, maryanne​,  @tom_gibbons ​,  @ejackson ​,  @kedgecomb ​,  @kansalak ​, ninafox​,  @marthazumack ​,  @rwest ​,  @ewerhardt ​, stefaniesanders​, &  @kmeeusen  for your contributions. Your investment in this idea helped refine a feature which is now part of Canvas! Smiley Happy

egronikowski
Community Novice
Status changed to: Completed

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Added to Theme

KristinL