[Rubrics] Ability to duplicate rubrics

When building rubrics on a course level, it would be helpful to have a duplicate rubric button next to the Edit and Delete options. Some rubrics are very similar and having the ability to duplicate what you already created would save time in course design to be able to easily duplicate a rubric.

38 Comments
Steven_S
Community Champion

334871_pastedImage_1.png334872_pastedImage_2.png334873_pastedImage_3.png334874_pastedImage_4.png

The end result is a new rubric with a new name, but it started as a copy of a rubric used elsewhere...

Steven_S
Community Champion

For typo correction and replacement of the existing rubric you may also be interested in https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/13770-allow-global-rubric-editing 

venitk
Community Champion

Yeah, I know there's a workaround, but it sure would be easier to just click a button and have it duplicate, especially when I'm trying to describe the process to faculty. "Find the button and click it" is easier than the process that you're describing, which certain has more steps and requires more screenshots. 

Steven_S
Community Champion

I agree that the methods for duplicating a rubric do need to be improved.  For example, finding the rubric you want to duplicate is complicated when the course numbers repeat.  For example, in my screen shot you see three HIST-1020-L01 courses... Those were each taught in a different semester, but manage rubrics does not know give me a clear way to know which set of rubrics came from which semester. Adding the same term already included in the course list, would help this search tremendously.

However, I'm not sure that it is clear exactly what you want an additional button to do.  When you start with a new assignment, there is already a button (magnifying glass) that lets you search all your prior rubrics and add a duplicate of any of them.  There is also a button (pencil) that lets you edit any rubric attached to an assignment whether it is new or copied.  I included many screenshots in order to cover every step, but those two buttons seem to cover "find the button and click it." 

I don't think of this as a work around, because these existing functions actually duplicate the rubric and allow changes.  I don't have much d2l experience, and so I do not understand what step is considered excessive.  Could you illustrate the workflow you are looking for?

venitk
Community Champion

This is a screenshot from D2L (I covered the names of the rubrics since I didn't write the course and don't have permission to share the details):
336011_pastedImage_1.png

I could click on the arrow next to the name of the rubric and copy it.

What I would like to see in Canvas is a way to duplicate a rubric under Outcomes-->Manage Rubrics.

e.g., here: 

336012_pastedImage_2.png

Or here, when editing the rubric itself: 

336013_pastedImage_3.png

Either place would seem like a fairly simple place to add a Copy Rubric or Duplicate Rubric button and would help streamline directions I have to send to faculty when they create their rubrics. It would also not require faculty to click through a scary warning message that would likely stop them from proceeding. 

Steven_S
Community Champion

Oh, I see.  I don't use 'manage rubrics' very often, because I've found that I can do all rubric creation, duplication and editing where the rubric is attached to the assignment.  Building the rubric on a separate screen did not seem like much of an advantage.  (Unless you are trying to use outcomes, which are not really user friendly yet in my opinion. )  I do see how you would want a way to duplicate the rubric from that screen if that is where you build your rubrics, however.

simon_rodan
Community Member

The ability to create a copy which could then be tweaked to meet the needs of particular assignments would be very helpful! 

pkrysl
Community Explorer

A must have. How limited the current  rubric management is compared to what it should be!

joshhirsch75
Community Member

Teaching in an IB school, we use the same criterion and rubrics for all of our grading.  The fact that I can't copy a rubric is really frustrating as I need to create a new rubric for every assignment even though the criteria are identical. 

I hope that in the future, Canvas can simply add a "copy rubric" function that allows us to use a template rubric then make changes.  It will save us a huge amount of time. 

glass2
Community Novice

@Steven_S Thank you, your how-to was extremely helpful.