[Rubrics] Ability to duplicate rubrics

When building rubrics on a course level, it would be helpful to have a duplicate rubric button next to the Edit and Delete options. Some rubrics are very similar and having the ability to duplicate what you already created would save time in course design to be able to easily duplicate a rubric.

38 Comments
wschilling
Community Member

The ability to edit and duplicate and then edit rubrics is imperative.  In many cases, my rubrics are similar, but with a couple of items either being added or removed as is applicable to the given assignment.  Right now, there is no way for me to reorder the questions in an existing rubric if I get them in an inefficient order or to duplicate and add new questions to the rubric.

This feature is not a nice to have feature; it is imperative from an efficiency standpoint.

reedfagan
Community Member

Please make this function (copying rubrics for subsequent adjustment/editing) a reality! Thank you!

tricia_castro
Community Member

Yup. I'm here now because I needed to duplicate a rubric with some criteria I can reuse for another Assignment without editing an existing rubric and overwriting my old rubric. .. OR does it create a new rubric when you edit it? 

Or another idea is to at least automatically save each criterion so we can easily mix and match them to create a rubric appropriate for the task. Just thinking. 🙂

IanStevenson
Community Member

Yes please! I like to use 6 standard levels and this is boring to re-do each time.

tom_anfinson
Community Member

I totally agree. One thing that our teachers look for is ease of use and efficiency. Always have to create new rubrics to maybe edit or change a thing or two is time consuming. Being able to copy an existing one and add or delete from that would be awesome!!!!

StevenGonsowski
Community Novice

Please give us the ability to duplicate a rubric easily so that we do not have to start from scratch every time we need a similar rubric.

I know that a rubric can be used multiple times. I know that you can go through the cumbersome process of exporting a course then importing a rubric from the export. But it seems to me there should be an easy way to duplicate a rubric, change its name, make a couple changes to it and use on a different assignment...

DanaMeans
Community Novice

User Role: Instructor

I often need to make changes to rubrics as it's quite the process to make one. I'd like to be able to copy a rubric for use in multiple assignments and have the ability to tweak it for each assignment. 

mcphersona7
Community Explorer

So I made a userscript with inspiration from @James and his rubric import userscript. I'll admit I've reused a little bit of your script for the display of it because I hate doing modals. Access it from the link below. Hopefully it helps people doing a lot of rubric moving.

https://github.com/mdccalex/helpful-canvas-scripts/wiki/canvas_rubric_copy.user.js

Hopefully it works for other people at all, as I've only tested it as a root account admin so I'm not too sure what a teacher's experience with it might be yet, but then again not a lot of people moving rubrics where I work at the moment. Just be careful when you try to do anything via root account (1) as it may look frozen as it is getting every course in your instance. 

Edit: Added the ability to duplicate in-place using a copy link similar to the delete and edit links next to each rubric.

gulick_24
Community Participant

I agree with this idea--I was shocked to not have a "duplicate rubric" button. This would be so intuitive! I came to the community site to find how to do so, not IF I could do so. This seriously needs to be a feature ASAP.

MarcySchnitzer
Community Novice

I plan to use a similar rubric for two different assignments. I'll just need to change some language between the two. It's time consuming to create a totally new rubric where I'll just have to cut and paste from the old in order to edit it.

In other words, I need two rubrics with the same criteria but edited rating descriptions.