Ability to easily open newly-created course

This one is for my fellow admins and those who love them.

Faculty, staff, student groups, etc. ask us to make them classes in Canvas. We make them classes in Canvas. We get a pop up box that says the class has been created. Then we have to search for the new title and manually add the users.

Why can't the pop up box be a link to the course? Instead of just saying there is a new course in the sea of 45,000 courses, we could click on the course title in the box and be taken to the new course. It's such a little thing that would make all of our lives a bit easier and bring joy to admins everywhere.

Thanks,

-Lea

18 Comments
kmeeusen
Community Champion

As a fellow beloved Admin, I would be beholden for this:smileysilly:

I would also like it to be much easier to enroll users for a newly created course (or any course) ofr example, say a search box from People page.

KLM

noah
Community Novice

This feature would return approximately 2.5 hours to me per year.

Not because I create a lot of courses manually, either. But because when I do, I'm usually in the presence of faculty who then make a comment such as "why do you have to search for the course you just created? See, I keep hearing that Canvas is intuitive..." and from there I must weather 2.5 to 5 minutes worth of a tirade about Canvas being about as intuitive as a two-ton slab of queso fresco in the middle of a vacant lot on the edge of town.

Please, this feature request seems like a little one. But a little goes a long, long way here.

biray
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

This idea has moved to the next stage and will be open for voting among the Canvas Community, from Wed. March 2, 2016 - Wed. June 1, 2016.

Check out this doc for additional details about how the voting process works!

MattHanes
Community Champion

What would be really nice is if the course creation box gave us the ability to assign a teacher from that same screen. Maybe just combine the add course dialogue with the add people?

mockup.jpg

kmeeusen
Community Champion

OMG Noah!

I would find a two-ton slab of queso fresco intuitive in the middle of anywhere! - grab a giant-sized box of crackers, belly-flop in, and start chowing:smileysilly:

I do find Canvas to be fairly intuitive, but recognize that it was much more intuitive four years ago when we first migrated and the UI was simpler and cleaner. However, as functionality is added, any application will become less intuitive. That is the trade-off we must accept. For me, this becomes a training issue - training myself, training my faculty and training my students.

There are two keys to the effective mastery of any computer application:

1. Developing and delivering effective training, and
  2. The willingness of participants to engage in that training.

KLM

lse224
Community Champion

giphy.gif

bgibson
Community Champion

Déjà vu all over again.  Years ago, and for several years prior, Blackboard had these functions combined in their Course Creation GUI Menu.  If you were having to create a single course manually, you stepped through the various basics and near the bottom of the menu, you had the option to enroll one or more users (as Instructor) before clicking on Submit.  And, the new course was created with at least one Instructor already there.  Those courses were the "non-official" courses (e.g. organizations, departments, committees).  Then, as a "program feature" they decided to take out the ability to add a user to the course as your were creating it.  You clicked on Submit, and then had to go into the Add User Menu to enter an Instructor.  *As an Admin, the question of, "Why, why, why in the World would you do that, when every course is going to need an Instructor," came to mind.  That ability never came back.

kmeeusen
Community Champion

I agree, Bill!

As an Admin, the current functionality is not ideal, just as the change by Bb was not! The current work flow is incredibly tedious, as are many of the admin work flows in Canvas. I understand Canvas' road map, and the need to proceed with caution so as to not create more problems than it solves, but would still greatly appreciate their improvement of admin functionality.

I typically hate comparing Canvas to Brand X, but in this case it is an example of where both systems missed the boat. Okay, actually Bb jumped off a perfectly good boat, but perhaps if it washes up on shore, Canvas can hop aboard!  Canvas has done a great job of building a fishing fleet that harvests the best ideas new and old (to keep my sea metaphors consistent).

Just $0.02 from an overworked Canvas administrator.

KLM (An old commercial fisherman)

lse224
Community Champion

Surely there are 17 more admins who want their lives to be easier. Tell your friends.

-Lea

llawrence10
Community Participant

This is a fantastic idea! How often do we create courses and NOT need to then add people to them? Never. So the ability to do it all at once would be a huge improvement.

lse224
Community Champion

Tell your friends!

anna_selway
Community Novice

This would be great - I always have to end up searching for the course.

mcsmith
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

No major updates on this quite yet. Engineers are digging into this to see what the investment would be. Once we get that done, I can provide a more helpful update. Stay tuned:)

mcsmith
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Unfortunately this is not something we are going to prioritize in the next 6 months. We are looking into simplifying the course creation process and this could fall under that. The enthusiasm and dialogue were great to see. We wish we could do it all.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
  Idea is currently in Product Radar Learn more about this stage...
ryan
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

We are working on a new "Courses" and "Users" tab for accounts and this functionality will be included in the new one.  To see this now, in your beta instance you can turn on the "Account Course and User Search" feature flag for your account and go to the same "Courses" page as before. if you click the new "+ Course" button and add a course, it will immediately show on the page. here's a video demo: https://cl.ly/2F432j0U2340

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

The Radar idea stage has been removed from the Feature Idea Process.  You can read more about why in the blog post Adaptation: Feature Idea Process Changes.

This change will only impact the stage sort of this idea and will not change how it is voted on or how it is considered during prioritization activities.  This change will streamline the list of ideas 'open for voting', making it easier for you to see the true top voted ideas in one sort, here.

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.