Ability to make student-created events/to-dos course-specific

0 Likes

Inevitably (often due to use of external tools), not all of the due dates and events for a course will end up in the To-do list, so it can be useful for us as students to manually add them to the calendar. The problem is that when I add a to-do for one of my classes to the calendar, it then shows up on the To-do list for all of the classes. It would be great if in the settings of the event, we could choose for which classes it will appear in the to-do list.

Tags (3)
4 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Moderating

@PButerbaugh 

Thanks for sharing this feedback. According to the Add To Do Details section of  How do I add a to-do item in the Calendar as a stu...  ,  students can create to-do items for specific courses by selecting the desired course from the Calendar dropdown in the event creation modal; all courses that the student has enabled to display on the Calendar will be available for selection from that dropdown.

I tried to recreate what you've described and could not do so. Specifically, I created a to-do item for one course, then a second to-do item for a different course, and when I navigated to each of those courses only the to-do intended for that course appeared on the home page to-do list. When you create a to-do item in this manner, does the item still display in the To Do list on the home pages of every one of your courses?

PButerbaugh
Community Member
Author

Apparently I should have done my research more carefully before posting, because I somehow had not found that article when I was trying to figure out if that was already possible! Weirdly though, it wasn't showing me the "My To-do" tab previously, it was only letting me create events. The To-do tab is there now, so I am now able to create to-dos for my specific courses. It doesn't seem like this functionality is available for creating calendar events though? When I create a calendar event, the only option on the drop-down menu is to put it on my personal calendar, which causes it to show up on all of the courses.

Thanks!

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@PButerbaugh  Yes, that's correct, and it is by design: only instructors can add calendar events to their courses. Students can manage calendar events on their own personal calendars, but don't have the permission that would allow them to add a calendar event to a course, as doing so would add the event to the calendar of everyone enrolled in that course.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Archived