[SpeedGrader] Ability to move through all assignments for one student in speedgrader

As I am looking at the speedgrader assignments, one feature that would be great would be that instead of per assignment, moving from student to student, but by student, moving from assignment to assignment. I am probably not the only one who has thought of a need to pick one student and then review their first assignment, second, third, etc. as teachers do that sometimes when they have to create a final grade. Right now, I have to back up each time to speedgrader to pick the next assignment and reopen speedgrader again.

Added to Theme

132 Comments
ddrake
Community Novice

Also done! Thanks for thinking of us!

jgro2
Community Novice

I frequently have one student's submit a string of work to grade and it would be helpful to move from one submission to the next of the same student.  Currently, we have to click on the gradebook link and then open speedgrader in the next assignmment column.  My request is simply to put a link at the top in speedgrader so you could efficiently move from one assignment to the next for the same student.

I agree 100% with this...I posted the above suggestion and found out another had posted something similar.  Hope next speedgrader has this feature. 

dtheriault
Community Contributor

Thank you. Obviously we would love this feature.

tstuwe
Community Novice

I started a similar thread titled, Grade By Student, with the following post:

"I have students who complete their work ahead of schedule. It sure would be nice to have the functionality I had in the old days under the leading LMS platforms to grade either by student or assignment. Grading by student used to allow me to reward those who work ahead by grading them ahead of schedule. Under Canvas, it is inefficient to do so because I have to enter and exit the assignments one by one, even if I am only grading one student's submissions of 30 or more separate assignments. Every semester I have to post an announcement telling students it is a lack of functionality in Canvas that makes it impractical to grade as I did under the leading platforms that preceded Canvas. Do you suppose this functionality will be considered some year?"

After a few replies, an Instructure moderator came on and provided the link to this discussion, asking us to move it here.

After perusing some of the comments, I want to reiterate that the functionality we are talking about here is not a new idea. It is something we were already able to do with the leading LMS platforms before Canvas went live. The perennial question is, why are the folks at Instructure completely unaware of the basic functionality we had in the leading platforms before Canvas was launched? Why is everything always news to them and takes years for them to mull over before they are willing to get Canvas up to the most basic functionality the other platforms had all along? I just don't get it. 

anne_overcott
Community Novice

YES! This feature would not only help working with students one on one, but I would love to use this feature for parent teacher conferences. This is a feature I would use with our old system (Moodle). Please make this feature available!!

anne_overcott
Community Novice

Can someone please update us on where we are at for this feature? What still needs to be done to get this created?

Thanks!

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

Hi  @anne_overcott ​

There is not update at this time, sorry.  It is on our radar, and part of the conversations when product allocates projects.

You will want to follow this thread, along with Canvas Studio: Gradebook Enhancements​ for updates.

afernan2
Community Novice

Will this be open for vote again?

anne_overcott
Community Novice

I want an answer to that as well! I just had conferences last night and was bummed that this feature is still not available.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
  Idea is currently in Product Radar Learn more about this stage...