[SpeedGrader] Ability to move through all assignments for one student in speedgrader

As I am looking at the speedgrader assignments, one feature that would be great would be that instead of per assignment, moving from student to student, but by student, moving from assignment to assignment. I am probably not the only one who has thought of a need to pick one student and then review their first assignment, second, third, etc. as teachers do that sometimes when they have to create a final grade. Right now, I have to back up each time to speedgrader to pick the next assignment and reopen speedgrader again.

Added to Theme

132 Comments
croble
Community Explorer

As long as we are asking for the ability to advance form one assignment to the next, adding that functionality after clicking on a single student's name so that teachers could advance to view the next student's 'grade summary' would be super helpful especially at the end of grading periods. 

kburner
Community Novice

Being able to change assignment within speedgrader would be helpful – graders can move through the students for one assignment but in order to switch assignments, they have to go back to the gradebook and relaunch speedgrader from that column.  Having a dropdown at the upper left where the assignment is displayed would be helpful.

dkpatton
Community Participant

Just got this request from a faculty. There are 5 related assignments that she wants to grade as a progression of thought by student. It seems like a reasonable request and could have a lot of applications.

guplet1
Community Novice

This is a perfect suggestion.  I asked my IT department and fellow Canvas helpmates if there was such a way to do just this and the answer was "no".  This is much needed.  Thank you for getting the ball rolling on this.

- Leslie Taft, College of the Desert, Palm Desert, CA

tstuwe
Community Novice

Crickets... 

lisa_cameron
Community Novice

It amazes me that this has been discussed for 5 years with no action!  Currently every teacher that uses Canvas is involved in DISTANT LEARNING with their students.  We all have students that may not have done anything for weeks.

They then decide to catch up and submit multiple assignments.  We are unable to go across the assignments for that student in speed grader.  Instead once we grade an assignment we must go back to the grade book find the student & the next assignment then go into speed grader again.

It was quite difficult to find this post.  I promise if all teachers knew about this discussion everyone of them would be voting YES PLEASE!!

This should be a fairly easy change and I hope someone realizes how helpful and time saving this would be for teachers and make this a priority.  My dream would be to have this fixed tomorrow . There is still 1 month and possibly more of Distant Learning and every teacher would love & appreciate this update.

Please & Thank you.

tstuwe
Community Novice

Lisa,

They have ignored this basic functionality for far more than five years!

I was one of several who immediately asked for this functionality when Canvas was first launched. This is basic functionality that the established LMS platforms at the time of Canvas' launch already had. This and many other basic functions of the established LMS platforms were missing from Canvas at its initial launch, and the Canvas people refused to say why. This was supposed to be the ultimate LMS yet it was absolutely terrible at launch, lacking so many basic features. It was taken years for the Canvas people to incorporate many things that should have been there from the beginning, and they are still ignoring this one.

thompsli
Community Champion

@lisa_cameron ‌: while it doesn't solve your issue as well as this feature request would, the fastest way I've found to grade everything for a student who turns in assignments in a big lump is to go to the "Teacher Activity" page for the course, which at least sorts by student and links to each submitted but not yet graded assignment for that student.

Here's how to find that report: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-26421-how-do-i-view-a-summary-of-all-my-student-interaction... 

stacy_kline
Community Novice

I would love to be able to stay in Speed Grader when grading all of a student's work. Currently we must leave speed grader, look at the next assignment and open speed grader again.

I can speed grade vertically through students on a single assignment, but I would like to move horizontally to speed grade a single student's assignments.

I have 400 students in my largest Canvas course and am grading students as they complete the entire course in this self-paced class. It would make it considerable quicker if I could click within speed grader to the student's next assignment.

Thank you!

denise_gordon
Community Novice

I totally agree with the post above!  There is no excuse for not creating this feature - how can they ignore our pleas??? Especially now at this difficult time.