[SpeedGrader] Ability to move through all assignments for one student in speedgrader

As I am looking at the speedgrader assignments, one feature that would be great would be that instead of per assignment, moving from student to student, but by student, moving from assignment to assignment. I am probably not the only one who has thought of a need to pick one student and then review their first assignment, second, third, etc. as teachers do that sometimes when they have to create a final grade. Right now, I have to back up each time to speedgrader to pick the next assignment and reopen speedgrader again.

Added to Theme

132 Comments
Julianne2
Community Member

When we are in SpeedGrader, we have to go back to the gradebook in order to see a different assignment. It would be HUGE in time saving if we could click to the next assignment in the gradebook from inside SpeedGrader - like we can with student names at the top on the right. Have a similar function for switching assignments. 

Ron_Bowman
Community Champion

I have had thoughts about that occasionally when I fall behind on grading and have multiple assignments to grade.  It would be nice to have that option available if I needed it.  But then again because I don't have to do it all the time it is a minor inconvenience for me.

NBenenati
Community Member

Speedgrader allows me to advance from student to student.  However, I wish I could also advance from assignment to assignment.  This is particularly helpful when a student has done some catching up and has several old assignments in need of grading.  Right now I need to review an assignment, submit my comments and use the rubric, then return to grades (which unfortunately always returns to the left), then click on the assignment, open speedgrader, and repeat. 

Currently there is the option to scroll from assignment to assignment in a quick view.  In this view I can only adjust whether an assignment is late or missing, enter a score, or make comments but I cannot see the student's work so the feature has limited use.

MariaVrana
Community Member

SpeedGrader is good for reviewing submissions of the same assignment for multiple students (a vertical line in the gradebook), but it would be great to be able to toggle that so you could review multiple assignment submissions by the same student (horizontal line in gradebook). 

This would be helpful to establish patterns in student work, establish growth, and for grading when students submit many assignments at once. Hope to see it!

KelseaMessina
Community Novice

You should be able to switch between assignments in speedgrader without having to go back to gradebook. As another option, you should be able to go through one students assignments in speedgrader.

tscottreece
Community Novice

In Speed Grader, when I go into an assignment, I can use the drop down option to change between students. However, if I want to change assignemtns, I have to close Speed Grader and go back

out to the gradebook, pick the assignment and reopen Speed Grader for the assignment. Have you considered putting a "drop down" under assignment name (top left) so that we can swithc between assignemtns within Speed Grader? Example, I have a student that misses

several days and turns in several assignments. I have to go in and out of Speed Grader to view their work. If there was s dropdown under assignment names, I could select the student and then change the assignments. Thanks for listening... Scott

Community Novice

I think this is a much needed feature for Canvas!  

laura_dunn
Community Novice

This needs to happen.  Having students on quarantine has really increased the need.  This is something that has bugged me in the past and will be useful even after quarantines are a things of the past.  

ThorneAnderson
Community Member

In my classes assignments frequently build on the work of previous assignment submissions.  It would be extremely helpful to be able to quickly back up to view a previous assignment submission for a single student. 

victor_vega
Community Member

As an instructor, when I am using SpeedGrader, I can advance to the next student using the right arrow next to the STUDENT NAME.

Unfortunately, there is not a similar function at the top next to the ASSIGNMENT, that would allow one to advance to the next assignment within SpeedGrader.

It is very frustrating to have to go back to the Gradebook each time, waiting for the screen to refresh, and then scroll across the assignments to find the next assignment you want to grade.  Even if you limit the Gradebook to one module/unit at a time, it's very time-consuming.

If I may suggest this as an improvement for the next update to Canvas, it would be great not to have to waste time looking for the next assignment. 

>moved the post Speedgrader Improvement.

Your "Explanation" is extremely understated, seeing as this thread is from 2015. 

SERIOUSLY, six years and there's still no movement. 

There's not much conversation to monitor here. 

All of us are saying the exact same thing, and it appears that we are just wasting our time.