Ability to replace the media button in the new RCE with our media platform of choice

The move to put all LTI plugins into a dropdown is going to severely impact media usage at our institution as presently our faculty and students are accustomed to pressing an existing button on the old RCE when inserting media into their Canvas content. Having to select a dropdown menu to find their media option hidden therein means that most won't find the option at all. To have a different media button in the toolbar (the native Canvas media integration) front and center presents a situation with our users will instinctively press on that button.

Compounding matters is that depending on screen/browser size, the "PLUGIN" button in RCE may not appear, replaced instead with a 3 button "MORE" button, meaning as many as 3 clicks to get to the 3rd party media platform of the school's choice.

Here is the toolbar on wide screens with the browser fully expanded:

Long toolbar

Here is the toolbar on narrower screens or with the browser not fully expanded:

Short toolbar

Yet another compounding factor is that Canvas uses the terminology "My Media" in the native Canvas media integration, a term already regularly used elsewhere, specifically for schools using the Kaltura LTI plugin.

My Media

To present users with two DIFFERENT "My Media" elements, each going to different media repositories would be catastrophic, resulting in endless user support headaches.

We propose that Canvas administrators should be able to choose which media platform we want for that button (be it Kaltura, Panopto, YouTube, or Instructure's Canvas Studio, etc.)

Short of that, alternatives include:

- Ability to remove the native Canvas media button from the new RCE

*AND*

- Ability to select one or two LTI integrations of the administrator's choosing to appear on the new RCE in a position of their choosing rather than in the plugin dropdown

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

For more information, please read through the Canvas Deploy Notes (2020-08-26)

56 Comments
JACOBSEN_C
Community Contributor

Institutions using Studio, a service also from instructure that provides quick auto-captioning, would appreciate the ability to ensure media uploaded lands in Studio for that reason, to ensure accessibility.  The shortest path to the desired outcome. 

christopher_phi
Community Champion

Agreed  @JACOBSEN_C ‌, this is a big reason for us as well - we caption all of our videos through Kaltura so anytime a faculty uploads video through Canvas we have to go in, download the video and then upload it to Kaltura and re-embed. 

JACOBSEN_C
Community Contributor

It's a bit of a nightmare and exposes us (institutions) to potential litigation that we've already tried to mitigate.  It's actually goofy that the request has to be made in the first place.  It should be more than apparent that this needs to happen.  Instructure even publishes material on universal design... 

nancy_lachance
Community Contributor

I fully support the suggestions mentioned in this Idea.

I also see major negative impacts of the movement of Kaltura and H5P to the LTI toolbox.  These are high profile applications. Also calling a media file upload "My Media" is very worrisome.  Our instructors all think Kaltura when they think "My Media" - and we want them to think that way.  I am also  confused by the plug icon. I get plug-ins but I do not think faculty will see them this way - and they certainly will not think "LTI Tools."   Please do rethink this. 

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hi,  @nancy_lachance ‌, regarding your second comment, please refer to this comment from the product manager in response to this concern in the comments section of Canvas Release: New Rich Content Editor :

326662_my media change.png

nancy_lachance
Community Contributor

Thank you, Stefanie!! Good news Smiley Happy

jwadec
Community Contributor

Yes, we also purchased Canvas studio and the fact that it is now going to be hidden is unfortunate. We were a new school and were fortunate that studio was the first LTI installed and showed on the old text editor instead of within the drop down chevron.

The new RCE should allow admins to select which media tool should show. The placement of a paid tool whether canvas or another provider should seriously be considered here for ease of use and better adoption. 

snarej
Community Novice

I am concerned that this is being treated as a feature request that may or may not get attention, based on community voting. Like several who have posted before me, we are Studio users. One reason we selected Studio (after using Kaltura for three years) was that we liked the tight integration with Canvas and never imagined that Instructure would make it so difficult to access their own product. Very disappointed.

jmwatson1
Community Participant

I can't even express in words how much this is needed. Please listen to this request! If not, at least let us change Canvas "My Media" to "Canvas Media" or something of that sort. 

Sylvia_Ami
Community Contributor

I agree  @jmwatson1 ‌. There needs to be a distinction between Canvas Media and other media. Adding the "Canvas" label will help to clarify. It will also help help support troubleshoot any issues.