Ability to schedule a publish date and time for modules/pages

0 Likes
(2)

This idea was originally suggested four years ago. It received over 1,000 kudos and appears to be stuck in the "ideas for conversation" area. I think it is time it moved to a review stage by the developers. The only idea I would add to this is an option to automatically unpublish as well. For example, a module or page is published/viewable for only a week. Educators can set and forget it. Additionally, they can plan for at least a week out and have materials available at the correct times. Below you will find the original request made by @aungaro in 2016:

Please allow us the ability to set a specific date and/or time for content pages to be published ahead of time.

It would be nice to be able to schedule those times in advance. There are times I don't want to publish something for students to see until after class and that requires remembering to go back and publish. Forgetting to do so only then creates chaos.  It'd be nice to just set those times once the page is designed and avoid those circumstances.

5 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Archived

@Rupshur 

Thanks for sharing this idea. As you've noted, the conversation around this is already underway at Let us schedule a Publish Date / Time for Content Pages, so we've archived this one to keep the discussion from branching off.

Please know that our product teams review all of the Open for Conversation ideas for potential prioritization regularly, regardless of when they were initially shared or how many "kudos" they may have garnered. Members can share their priorities in numerous ways; in addition to participating in Idea Conversations, they can discuss their needs with their Customer Success Manager (CSM); if you're the local Canvas admin for your school, this is an additional way to express sentiment, and if you're not the admin, ask the admin to raise the issue on your behalf.

Thanks again.

Rupshur
Community Member

@Stef_retired 

Thanks Stephanie.

How do we get the team to review this thread. Scheduling is a capabiilty found in Google Suite and Seesaw. I am very surprised it is not in Canvas and even further surprised that this idea was brought up four years ago and there is still no traction. Why not?

I don't see a kudo button for the original idea. I can comment on it, but it's been four years of no movement. What needs to be done so there is movement, at the very least a review of the idea and if it is possible to implement or go into Beta? Do I need my teachers to flood the comment section? 

I saw your comment about the Canvas admin mentioning something. I will do that as well.

The stress of teaching 100% online will be so much alleviated with this option to schedule.

Thanks for your time and consideration and the information.
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@Rupshur 

The "kudos" indicator that displays on some ideas is a holdover from the old platform. Members participating in the Idea Conversations forum can apply the appropriate star rating to express their sentiment for an idea. To rate an idea, click on the stars that display directly under the idea description. You'll find more information about the idea process itself in How do idea conversations work in the Canvas Community?

We're glad you're interested! If you'd like to read more about the evolution of ideation, please look through the Community users group blog where we discuss all-things-Community. This recent post previewed the new rating system:  Community Feedback and Communication.

canvas77
Community Explorer

@Stef_retired 

I've already shown my support in the original idea but I'm disappointed to see that the thread is 4 years old and the idea still hasn't been implemented.

Please let us schedule publishing on Canvas! This is not the same as setting the available dates/times because if the item is published, it will still be visible to students. There are several reasons why you won't want an item to be visible to students prior to some set schedule, but there is no way to do this on Canvas currently. This would help me with planning and optimizing the management of my online courses. Please let me know if there is anything else that I can do to advocate for this idea. 

JimFitch
Community Member

Going to the other thread, but also voting here: please let us schedule a date/time for publishing modules.