Ability to select multiple questions at once in quizzes and question banks

(4)

Why this is important

Many of our instructors import quizzes from other sources. When the quizzes are imported the questions in the quizzes are NOT in groups. Yes instructors can add groups and organize the questions into the groups for randomization; however, if you have a quiz with over a hundred questions, this process will become tedious very quickly since you can only move one question at a time. Times that by 12 or more quizzes and it becomes extremely time-consuming. I like question groups but the workflow is poor. There needs to be a way where you can select multiple questions at once so you can do the following tasks:

• Move questions to a question group in a quiz
  • Change the point value of all selected questions in quiz or question group
  • Delete all selected questions from a quiz or question bank
  • Move all selected questions to question bank or question group.

🔎 This idea has been archived. While this idea isn't open for comments, it is an important part of Instructure’s idea conversations and development process. Contributions like this are valuable as Instructure prioritizes work on new or existing features.

25 Comments
jordan
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

snugent​ I can definitely see the benefit of this feature and how much time it could save teachers/course designers.  I have promoted it to go up for voting on July 1st.  Be sure to come back and vote it up.

As always, thank you for your thoughtful and thorough feature request and continued commitment to improve Canvas!

Jaclyn_Compton
Community Novice

I'd like to add that we should be able to select all questions within a quiz or question bank. I'm currently combining multiple question banks into new question banks, and it becomes incredibly tedious having to manually move 668 questions from three separate question banks into a single question bank. Having the ability to select all questions would make this a much more efficient process.

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

This feature idea is now open for voting.

coby_haas
Community Novice

As a teacher that uses question banks a lot, this would be so helpful.

AJC17246
Community Explorer

The ability to change the point value of a group of questions in one swell foop would be fantastic. I often have tests that have 25 or more multiple choice questions in them that I want to make worth 2 or 3 points. Having to chance the value from the default 1 every time is tedious, and I sometimes miss a question or two. I was thinking about posting an Idea for a way to change the default, but this would get around that need by letting me quickly set many questions to the desired point value.

cwendt
Community Champion

This is a wonderful idea!

eugene_matthews
Community Member

I agree! This is an idea whose time has come.

katharine_conab
Community Novice

Good idea.

snugent
Community Champion

If you voted for this option, please give this request your votes too. It only has five votes and will soon close for voting. It will be greatly appreciated.

jsparks
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hello family!

We are in the process of examining the quizzing engine for some updates.  Item handling and management is a big part of this process. As this project would be rather extensive, we won't be delivering anything in the next six months. I want to share our planned updates include this idea and much more! 

Kind regards,

Jason

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

Thank you for the exciting news Jason.

Community members can follow the larger project at Modern Quizzing Engine

nonelson
Community Member

I'll be excited to see some new options in the quizzes.  I hope that you will allow and simplify the re-grade options for all questions.  It is not uncommon to have to regrade a quiz because of a mistake in the key or because students need some clarification on a question, etc.  The lack of regrade options in the current version of canvas results in a lot of excessive work for quizzes

bellingerk
Community Novice

I'm eager to see this feature become active in the near future.  I was very confused to see that in the question banks, where it gives you the option of moving multiple questions, it allows you to select multiple questions to move, but not copy and move...even though the heading on the pop-up for that option says 'Move/Copy Multiple Questions'.  The button only allows you to 'move'.  Thank you for addressing this!

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

This idea was moved from Under Consideration stage (no longer in use) to the Product Radar stage.  

This change was made as part of a feature idea process evolution.  Find more information, and contribute insights, by joining Focus Group: DRAFT Feature Idea Space

tsawicki
Community Novice

Hopefully the new engine will make it easier to work with question banks as well as add more, better, and easier to implement randomization methods to quizzes.  Any features that allows us to create a quality quiz while also increasing the difficulty for students to cheat is welcome.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

The Radar idea stage has been removed from the Feature Idea Process.  You can read more about why in the blog post Adaptation: Feature Idea Process Changes.

This change will only impact the stage sort of this idea and will not change how it is voted on or how it is considered during prioritization activities.  This change will streamline the list of ideas 'open for voting', making it easier for you to see the true top voted ideas in one sort, here.

wittneramber
Community Member

211 votes, going on 4 years after idea inception in 2015. 2100+ page views for this functionality. Having to manually check each individual box per question, within the "select multiple questions" UI box for inclusion into a question bank, without the ability to "Select All" and un-check individually is a MASSIVE waste of time.  Additionally the questions are listed individually without a header as to what assessment they belong to and without the ability to expand them within the "select multiple questions" UI.  

Solution: Add SHIFT + Click to select all, and CTRL + Click functions  to the UI for "Select multiple questions" - standard to windows bulk file selection functionality.

I have 135 unfiled questions. Manually checking each box, scrolling down in a micro-sized window, without the ability to expand/see full detail of each question (easily resolved by organizing list of questions by which assessment they are associated with). 

We are half way through the 2019 school year. When will Canvas take action on user feedback? These requests are simple UI fixes. Perhaps a Canvas Team is needed for testing and developing better user experience workflows.

I am a part-time instructor, with a full time federal job. I moved to Canvas because we were told we had to, but honestly, Etudes had WAY more user experience functionality, although it was "clunky".  Seriously hope Canvas will work to make teaching with their product easier and not harder...

kallan
Community Novice

This functionality would be extremely time-saving and is definitely needed for course management.

rvaidyan
Community Member

I am stunned that after five years this basic feature is still not available within the Canvas question management system. It's an immense failure of your system and your technical folks.

When I import the question banks from publishers, they include MANY questions (sometimes 50+ each chapter) that I cannot use in my class. I cannot use automated quizzing because it automatically draws from these useless questions. If I had the option of randomly selecting from Q1-Q46 for the automated quiz, it would be fine, but I cannot do that either.

Is it really that hard to have a "select several" option for quiz bank management?

Frustratingly ridiculous.

SheridanL
Community Member

In the 'build' function of New Quizzes, I wish I could select multiple questions at once to 1) change the point value of a whole batch and 2) add all of the selected questions to a test bank.  I don't like having to do it question by question - it's incredibly time consuming and inefficient. 

Looks like this has been a long-standing frustration.  I don't use textbook quiz banks.  I make my own quizzes in Google docs, save to a text file, import through Respondus - all of this is tedious enough.  Once in Canvas, it really should not be that difficult to select several.  Please fix this!