[Commons] Ability to share a rubric to the Commons

As a Canvas Admin I can add a rubric to the Outcomes area which allows faculty to click "Find a Rubric" when adding a rubric to either an assignment or to a discussion.  Would it be possible to share a rubric created under Outcomes to the Canvas Commons? I believe our faculty would like the ability to share rubrics they have created to the Commons.

Transferred from the old Community

Originally posted by: Christine Dereberry

Additional contributions by: @bruce_Boone, Robert Caldwell

Added to Theme

32 Comments
ajoyaux
Community Novice

In addition to sharing my rubrics within the Canvas network, I'd like to be able to export them for inclusion in an email or a paper or a presentation.

paul_gouveia
Community Member

It would be great to have a "Rubrics" button next to the "Assignments", "Modules",  "Quizzes" buttons etc. in the Commons, so that teachers could easily share and search for Canvas Rubrics so that we can more easily use and edit Canvas Rubrics. This would be a huge help in limiting the amount of work (cutting and pasting parts of rubrics from existing documents) when creating rubrics in Canvas.  OR create a "Smart Rubric Import Tool" so that teachers can easily load their existing rubrics into Canvas. (Which would probably be very difficult and have to be a separate feature request).

michelle_ciccar
Community Novice

Thank-you! This was exactly the workaround needed! I was able to share "Assignments" to the commons which are named after the School-Wide Learner Outcome associated with the specific school-wide rubrics we all use, and it allows colleagues to both share and modify as needed, as well as to contribute to a bank of consistent rubrics that can make things much easier and much more clear for our students.

michelle_ciccar
Community Novice

One workaround for this, that takes very little time, is to take a screenshot of the rubric (creating a png file). I keep a folder of our school's rubrics in several formats: doc, xlr, jpeg, png, pdf. This lets me quickly use them for anything from an email to a template.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

This idea was moved from Under Consideration stage (no longer in use) to the Product Radar stage.  

This change was made as part of a feature idea process evolution.  Find more information, and contribute insights, by joining Focus Group: DRAFT Feature Idea Space

beerline_n
Community Participant

That's a good suggestion, Michelle. It would be simpler, however, to have an "Export as PDF" button available. I frequently receive requests to share my rubrics with other instructors, or administrators who need them for various purposes, and this would make my life much easier.

bogardde
Community Participant

The link to the Focus Group is not working. Is there another place to find info/contribute?

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

bogardde‌, that link goes to a focus group that was active during the feature idea evolution. The feature idea process was re-launched in March 2017, at which point the focus group had served its purpose, so the group was archived. You can read more about the reconfiguration of the Canvas Studio‌ in Renee's blog posts:

Changes Coming to Canvas Community Feature Ideas 

Changes are closer for Canvas Community Feature Ideas 

Changes are here: New feature idea processes went live Friday! (2/24/17) 

...and here's the blog post that goes into detail about the Product Radar stage: New Ideation Stage:  Product Radar 

bogardde
Community Participant

Thanks for the clarification, stefaniesanders‌ - I had misinterpreted the focus group as being a place to discuss ideas that were in Product Radar, such as this Rubric-to-Commons feature. Now I understand that the group was about discussing the feature idea process itself.

nathan_campbell
Community Participant

I just had a teacher ask if she could do this today. This would be a beneficial feature to develop!