Absent status

0 Likes
(14)

It would be very helpful to have some more options for assignment statuses. Some that would be helpful are: absent and redone

23 Comments
ctitmus
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

nbouas
Community Member

I would love to see an "incomplete" status available. I understand that would have to be individually changed by the teacher, but it would be very helpful in communicating with parents.

jyoder1
Community Member

Another idea could be user-defined statuses. I know that many grade book systems in student information systems allow for teacher-created statuses. My district has statuses such as Absent, Redone, Can be redone, Differentiated.

TampaNative
Community Explorer

The Absent Status should be used because generally, students who are Absent are penalized for Missing work. Our students, for example, have 3 days to make it up without penalty. 

Maybe add the option to the grade Late Policy screen to Change Absent work to a 0 after ___ number of days (each District has their own makeup work policy)

RyanKrause
Community Novice

Can you create a way to mark a grade as "Absent"?  We already have options for Excused, Missing, and Late, but an option for an "Absent" status would be great to see what students were absent the day of an assignment and need to make it up, as opposed to just being "Missing."  Thanks!

JohnCrater
Community Novice

This is obvious, especially in the COVID era. 

rick_webster
Community Novice

It would be very helpful if there was an ’absent’ option on the Status bar. That way I could quickly see who should be getting full credit for a late submission vs partial credit.

juliadewees
Community Explorer

Because of Covid, it would be especially helpful to have Absent or Quarantine as a status option that would not affect a student's grade like Missing or a blank does. 

CZaccagnino
Community Member

Yes please!

glen_smithberge
Community Novice

An absent option is MUCH needed. As others have mentioned, it would be very useful for right now with students missing due to Covid or some other reason. For now, it's a zero and you sometimes move on or you may not check anything and forget. 
Having the absent feature lets you, the student, and parent know their child was absent for that assignment and needs to remember to turn it in or to get it from the teacher. I think another great feature of the absent feature is when a student may miss a quiz. The student didn't get a zero on that quiz, they were simply absent and need to make sure they complete it. I had several students have 0's for this as they never made them up. I think it is good tracking grades as well if students miss a day or two in a unit. They likely will underperform during the assessment as they didn't have the same amount of exposure to the material. 

BarbaraLind
Community Novice

Please add "absent" as a status for assignments.

resartoris
Community Participant

Yes, absent is a very important status. We have many parents and teachers requesting this feature.

LauraLander
Community Novice

There should be an option to enter in the gradebook, AB, for absent students.  That way there is a distinction between a missing assignment that a student didn't complete, versus not turning it in due to an absence.  It should allow you to set parameters about AB = 0, or missing = 0, etc.  

dbrew18
Community Novice

Add an Absent button with the excused, late, and missing buttons. 

dbrew18
Community Novice

Add an Absent button along with excused, late, and missing.

JenniferKoutnik
Community Explorer

It would be nice if a teacher could Name their own Status in gradebook -not simply alter color.

LisaSnow
Community Explorer

I agree, many of my teachers are asking for their own designations for status or even values in the gradebook.  

PiperDeardorff
Community Novice

"Absent" and "Incomplete" would both be very helpful.

LLeighP
Community Novice

Please add an absent indicator! We need this in the COVID era.

kimberly_marsha
Community Member

The ability to add additional status tags is essential to being able to effectively sync grades with a student information system.  We need more than 3 options.  Absent being one of the very needed additions.