[New Quizzes] Access More Options Page for New Quizzes more easily

To adjust differentiated due dates and other settings with New Quizzes, it is not easy to navigate to the "More Options" page. From within the Quiz Builder, you must return to Canvas and the Assignments page and select Edit > More Options or the Quizzes page and select Edit. If the New Quiz is added to a Module, this page is not available from there. It would be most convenient if you could link directly to this page from within the Quiz Builder.

Added to Theme

10 Comments
lshulman
Community Participant

I too had an issue with updating settings.

Settings seem to appear in two places: in the exam itself but also can be done through "more options" from Assignments or Quizzes list (but cannot set access code or time limit here, only number of attempts). The exam itself allows for additional/full settings but unclear if settings from the old quiz migrated over with the new one.

This is all too confusing.

I will stick to Classic quizzes for now

muellerkara
Community Member

Editing a quizzes that is a New Quiz is unnecessarily complicated. It would be so much more streamlined to be able to edit the points and due date from Modules. Instead, I have to edit those items in Quizzes, even though every other type of assessment can be edited in Modules. It still feels like it's in Beta. Maybe it still is?

Kelvin_Dean
Community Contributor

Actually, if you need to add quiz instructions from the Assignments page, this must be done before configuring the Quizzes 2 LTI. Furthermore, you must create your New Quiz from the Assignments page, not the Quizzes page.

jfoster74
Community Member

I agree with muellerkara. There are some good things with the new LTI but not being to able to edit with Modules, since that is where most of us edit from. It is also confusing that you can click on the quiz get into the New Quizzes LTI and make changes in there but those changes are not reflected on the Canvas side. This even confused L1 support as we tried to work through things.

sylviateacher
Community Member

Agree with all users above; the new quiz tool is cool in some ways (I enjoy its more WYSIWYG appearance and the new question types) but it's altogether more difficult to navigate in the context of Canvas's existing UI/UX structure. In order for this tool to be at least as functional as the old quiz tool, it needs to be possible to: 

• when you click on the quiz (currently takes you to the Build screen), lead to a way to edit the due date / calendar settings, either on that page or a linked page. It's important to be able to follow the same flow of clicks to find those settings for these quizzes as all your other tools, at least. 

• from the Module screen, standardize the way to create a new quiz (or add an existing un-module-sorted quiz) with the other tool. Currently, I think you cannot create a new quiz from this screen -- but I might be wrong, because the New Quizzes are grouped on an entirely different part (add Assignment) of the interface than the Old Quizzes (add Quiz). 

These changes would literally just serve to support the existing UI/UX model that Canvas has and I'm kinda surprised they haven't been integrated yet; as muellerkara mentioned, they kind of make it feel like this tool is still in beta? If they can't be fixed quickly and easily, I would suggest marking the New Quiz tool as a beta in the screen where you select Classic or New. I saw and read the warning about using Classic if I need 3rd-party tools, Speedgrader, or CSV support -- but I wish I had seen a warning that said "this tool is new and basic ways that it interacts with our interface are still being worked out" which is what "beta" means to me. 

Community Member

A "new quiz" was shared with me.

I figured out how to delete questions and change point values.

But I can't figure out how to assign it to my kids and lock it.

and I changed the point values to be 100 but it still shows up as 36 (the original) when I look in Modules.

How come it doesn't say 100 and how come I can't edit it?

I've read the guides, it says "click edit" I can only decide if I want to indent it., I don't have "more options"

hoggardr
Community Explorer

The "allowed attempts" setting is inconsistent.  It is ridiculous to have this in two separate locations, with potential values that conflict with each other.  In the New Quiz settings, I have the "Allow Multiple Attempts" setting set to OFF.  However, under the Edit->More Options for the quiz, I unknowingly had the "Allowed Attempts" setting set to Unlimited, since that seems to be the default.  This has caused a mess for my students considering that Canvas told them they had unlimited attempts on this quiz, but then tells them they've used up all of their attempts after the quiz has been submitted once.

tpurdy
Community Explorer

Navigating between the new quiz assignment and the new quiz itself is very cumbersome. If I select the quiz from a module, it takes me directly into the quiz (build, settings, etc.). But if all I want to do is change the assignment dates/times, I have to go to quizzes or assignments, remember to select the 3 dots, "edit" and then I can see the assignment. We should be able to access both, the assignments page and the quiz itself through modules, just like we did on classic quizzes. 

When a new application like this, new quizzes, is introduced to make improvements on an old application, we shouldn't lose any functionality like this. It makes navigation cumbersome and time consuming. 

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Added to Theme