Account level calendar (and sub-account level calendar)

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Account level and sub-account level calendar use cases:

1. Holiday dates
  2. Open days
  3. Special events
  4. Competitions

All users within that account or sub-account would see these calendar events.

98 Comments
tsmith1
Community Member

In addition to having common meeting times, days off, etc., it would be helpful for those of us at the h.s. level to mark which days are which for our block schedule (for ex, all even days get marked) as this would make it easier to establish due dates for assignments/tests/projects/etc.

peytoncraighill
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Thanks for the feedback, everybody!

I'll workshop this with the team and respond with an update here.

BROEKERC
Community Novice

Awesome!  Thanks Peyton.

mhughesmarkovic
Community Member

YES - please make this happen!

e01166
Community Novice

This is something we've been trying to figure out for our Canvas instance as well. In our case, the sub-account calendars are what is needed. We have schools within the district operating on different calendars. At the K-12 is would also be nice to be able to include such things as assemblies, scholarship deadlines, etc...

A general calendar would help position the LMS as an information hub.

peytoncraighill
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

After some discussion, here's where we are:

• Calendar has always been billed as a relatively simple course facilitation tool, and adding account-level calendars that integrate with users' course and personal calendars complicates that model.
  • For now, we're okay with encouraging institutions to use Google Calendar (GAFE schools) or Office Calendar (O365 schools), or any other calendar, for managing account-level events, and using the Canvas calendar feed option to integrate with Canvas.

Here are a few links to documentation on our calendar feed:

e01166
Community Novice

This is really unfortunate as it doesn't seem to address the root desire for this feature. This solution (work-around) requires an additional calendar, living outside Canvas. I believe the goal of this request is to have one calendar that could be seen by all users. The proposed solution seems to the opposite of the requested feature.

I can understand that this could complicate the model from a technical perspective. The request is to simplify the functionality for teachers and students.

Thanks for your consideration.

mikescheid
Community Contributor

I feel like you have totally missed the need that this feature request addressed. We want a calendar INSIDE canvas that allows our schools to have events specific to them at the sub account level. As well as a district wide calendar INSIDE canvas for district wide events. We do not need the canvas calendar to populate outside of canvas to another system. We need a calendar within Canvas!  I am very, very, disappointed that with the support this request has garnered, you have simply dismissed it and it sure seems that you have not even heard what the need is based on your solution!

stephen_fowler
Community Novice

This is a great idea. We would like to be able to add the academic calendar to everyone's personal calendar in Canvas.

ewerhardt
Community Member

Our college uses Google Calendar as our official academic calendar.  It contains all those important deadlines that apply all students.  We would like to pull that calendar into the global Canvas calendar so ALL course calendars will automatically have these items show up.  Then we can add or edit items from the google source knowing it will be fed into Canvas courses. While this is the ideal scenario, a second option is to simply give the Sys Admins access to the Canvas global calendar so we can create and manage global dates and events. Unless I've missed it, I don't see that admins have access to a global calendar.  So...how do we get this request back on the radar?