[Modules] Accurate Breadcrumb Trail in Modules

It would be great if the breadcrumb trail would follow your navigation correctly when you are working in modules rather than switching to "page", "discussions", "assignments" or whatever you click on. Would it be possible to add a "modules" breadcrumb?

94 Comments
G_Petruzella
Community Champion

Deactivated user​, that's amazing! W00t!

lwuest
Community Novice

Awesome! That's great news! Smiley Happy

Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Great news!  And by "new UI", does this mean we are going to see an updated look to the overall Canvas interface?  Am I interpreting this correctly?

cwruck
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

You are  @Chris_Hofer It's very pretty and much cleaner and easier to use. You'll get to see it very soon, too!

Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Very interesting...especially since I just read this Feature Idea recently submitted:

dperpich
Community Participant

Hopefully, the improved breadcrumb UI will apply to more than just Modules.  When students move through Pages with links to Files, Assignments, or Quizzes, the breadcrumbs should not include "Files," "Assignments," or "Quizzes" [list views].  This is particularly important on sites where the instructor has opted to hide those tools from site navigation.

Tolerable now that clicking those list view links will return the student to the Home page, but not including those links in the breadcrumbs would be superplusgood.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

Here are the InstructureCon Release Notes (2015-06-17) which contain information on the new UI.

mcsmith
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hi All,

I wanted to give everyone a quick update on where we are at in development around breadcrumbs. With our new UI we did a few facelifts around breadcrumbs; these were primarily focused around replacing breadcrumbs to the top of the page to emphasize them as a true path navigation tool which is our end goal. When we began digging into the module breadcrumbs, it was clear it was a much more complex project then we had originally anticipated. We are working feverishly to finalize our roadmap for the next 12 months. Where module breadcrumbs work lands will determine if we can get this work done by the end of the year. Rest assured we agree that the breadcrumbs need love and we plan on devoting resources around them to get it addressed. The only question is, will that work get done in the next 3, 6, 9, or 12 months? Stay tuned!

eoneill
Community Novice

Any updates here, Canvas?

stuart_ryan
Community Novice

Hi Team,

Can you please advise the status of this, as a new customer on the Canvas Platform I am *greatly* struggling with the Breadcrumbs as they exist in the new UI.

I have also been able to validate that the Breadcrumbs worked as expected in the old UI (as per below screenshot), therefore would be seeing this as a bug rather than a feature request:

image1.PNG

The problem I am seeing at the moment is where a course has a large number of modules, a student clicks through and then loses a path to get back to the module they were working in.

For courses that have more than a handful of modules, the only means of getting back to the module overview is to click on the Modules link in the menu and manually scroll back down to where you were (and in a large number of modules this is less than ideal).

Essentially, the concept of breadcrumbs (in my experience) is a trail of how you got to a place so you can follow it back, it would seem in the old UI this was followed, but the design of the new UI does not follow this.

I am already finding this to be a pain point in how the modules work and this is a high priority for our institution.

(I have also had a discussion on this with Deactivated user​ at InstructureCon if you need any further details).

Cheers,

Stuart