[Modules] Accurate Breadcrumb Trail in Modules

It would be great if the breadcrumb trail would follow your navigation correctly when you are working in modules rather than switching to "page", "discussions", "assignments" or whatever you click on. Would it be possible to add a "modules" breadcrumb?

94 Comments
stuart_ryan
Community Novice

*pokes*

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

Hi  @stuart_ryan ​

My apologies, but there is not update at this time.

stuart_ryan
Community Novice

Hi Renee,

Thank you for the update.

Cheers,
Stuart

ronmarx
Community Contributor

Deactivated user‌, while you're working on this, maybe you'd consider a very useful implementation that eases navigation through Canvas objects that are placed and organized using Modules? Please refer to an idea I just posted based on the type of work we're doing in our public school system.

https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/8612-create-relative-navigation-through-module-objects 

stuart_ryan
Community Novice

Hi  @Renee_Carney  Throwing out another 'is there any update on this' as my last check in was 7 months ago and this has now been in limbo for approximately a year.

Very keen to see some improvements on this front, and am wondering what the progress on development  has been.

Cheers

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

@stuart_ryan ‌

I'm glad you checked back in.  I too had to do some additional checking here.

It does look like this project got set aside for now.  I am going to take it out of in-development and move it back to product radar.  The product team is very aware of this thread and desire.  This doesn't mean we won't do it, just not now.

stuart_ryan
Community Novice

Aww *sadPanda*, I do understand, and hope it gets visibility again at some point in future.

Thank you for checking in  @Renee_Carney  and getting an update for me.

Cheers,
Stuart

v_renolds
Community Novice

In the past 6 months we have migrated around 1200 students to Canvas from a Moodle LMS. The students are still adjusting to the change and navigation on browsers is a pain point. My view is that the option to swap the breadcrumb trail from 'pages' to 'modules' would be a significant enhancement. Is that what everyone else is thinking?

jpinto
Community Novice

I'd like to add another voice to this request. At our institution, we create a module for each class. We are currently putting the class topic in both the module title and in the page title of the page describing the class:

Module Title: Class 1 - Setting the Stage & Intercorporate Equity Investments: An Introduction

Page Title: Overview 1 -  Setting the Stage & Intercorporate Equity Investments: An Introduction 

We need the topic in the module because we pull module titles onto our home page so students can see the structure of their course. We need the topic in page title so students know which overview page they are on. 

Currently we're unhappy with what the student's see & the extra work required when an instructor or staff member needs to change the topic.

Updating the breadcrumbs so they show which module you are in would be a big improvement.

tcallen
Community Member

I REALLY don't like the fact that I can start in a module, work on something, then be thrown out of the modules breadcrumb path. It is very confusing for students, especially in light of the fact that practically everything else should be turned off when you use modules for navigation.

This is an OBVIOUS problem/loophole/oversight. Please get it fixed!