[Modules] Accurate Breadcrumb Trail in Modules

It would be great if the breadcrumb trail would follow your navigation correctly when you are working in modules rather than switching to "page", "discussions", "assignments" or whatever you click on. Would it be possible to add a "modules" breadcrumb?

94 Comments
zhemaria
Community Novice

It is somewhat cumbersome to move within Canvas. A linear menu should ALWAYS appear to pop back.

For example, you are on a page of a submodule. It should appear at the top.

MODULE - SUBMODULE - PAGE

so that when you press, for example, module, you go to it.

At this time it only returns if you are watching a video.

JasonEddy
Community Novice

Considering this thread is almost 7 years old, it's obvious that this issue is not going to get fixed but I came here specifically to request this "feature." As a first time Canvas user (student), this is the most frustrating part of the system. When I've clicked into a module and then to an assignment, I'd like to be able to go backward along the same path that I took to get to the assignment, not whatever hierarchy is currently in use. Instead, I am constantly having to go back to the 'home' page for a class and then click back through to whatever section I need to access again.

I think this is a case of the developers not being end users and having to live with this UX choice.

PhilLongstreet
Community Member

The breadcrumb trail needs to accurately root back to where you came from rather than swapping between areas.

Also it shouldn't show areas that have been hidden. For example when I click quiz 1 from module the trail should show Modules > Quiz 1 NOT Quizzes > Quiz 1, as quizzes is hidden from my students.

Additionally, the breadcrumb trail should be ALWAYS visible while in a course. Not disappear in some areas such a gradebook or New quizzes build

MarilynDispensa
Community Member

I agree. One of the biggest drawbacks about Canvas is that once a student clicks on an item in the module, they lose any context of where they were.  The breadcrumb trail should be there as a minimum. There should be a Table of Contents visible without clicking the back button to get back to the module or going Modules and trying to remember.    Perhaps a Table of contents could show/hide in a side bar or overlay. The table of contents should show what item the student is currently on and allow them to navigate right from within there.

swaters13
Community Member

I would find it helpful if there were an addition to the breadcrumbs at the top of the browser version of Canvas so I could go from a specific assignment back to the module it is housed in instead of having to click on Modules and then scroll back to the one in question.  

BCullen_
Community Member

This thread originally came up in 2015, it's now 2022.

Can we get some kind of response from Canvas about their intentions here?

sgilbert
Community Participant

The breadcrumbs which are supposed to be an aid to navigation are completely useless for the students. They click the highlighted link to go back. Canvas shows them an error message saying "This page has been disabled for this course" and they are dropped on the home page. How cruel. (BTW, I have read the discussions about path-based versus location-based breadcrumbs and realize that the designers of Canvas have a yen for location-based. What I'm trying to point out is how destructive this is to the student's user experience.)

It's been suggested that we could remove them with a bit of css. If only we (instructors) had the ability to control the css for our courses. BTW, I don't use modules in my courses at all. I simply want path-based breadcrumbs. The location in the overall site is an implementation detail, NOT a logical detail. The students should never be exposed to the fact that a "bucket" called Pages even exists.

randompawn
Community Member

Navigation 1 

Navigation 2 

Unable to add images 

Most definitely needs to be addressed. This is a major usability problem. The courses we take have many groups and when you are using Next/Previous, you do not know where you are going or if you are leaving a group.

Navigation 1

Uh, 2015? Ok, well not holding my breath.

P.S. "You do not have permission to upload images." Hard to show the problem when we cannot share the problem.

dspiel
Community Participant

Mind-blowing of something so simple and desired for over 7 years isn't even being considered.

Catthehuman123
Community Member

This is very needed.