Add A Filter To Moderate Quiz Screen

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Idea will be open for vote Wed. October 7, 2015 - Wed. January 6, 2016  Learn more about voting...

Adding extra quiz attempts or extra quiz time for individual students in a very large class is a real pain because there is no way to filter the student list on the Moderate Quiz screen. If the course has 2500 students, it takes entirely too long to click each page of students until you find the name. You just have to start guessing which page they are on and click through them until you find the student.

96405_moderate quiz.jpgmoderate quiz.jpg

It would be amazing to have a filtering option like the one on the "People" page of a course.

96406_search.jpgsearch.jpg

Having a dropdown to filter by section would be pretty great too!

We tried using the API to add quiz attempts but the endpoint is still in beta and it currently doesn't work at all.

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the Canvas Production Release Notes (2016-09-17)

15 Comments
jordan
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@MattHanes ​, this is a great idea and I can definitely see a lot of value in having a filtering option like you have proposed. Thank you for taking the time to be so articulate in this submission. Your idea will go up for voting on October 7th. 😉

biray
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

This idea is now open for vote. Smiley Happy

creativityengag
Community Novice

This is absolutely critical. I am teaching a course with 800+ students. I simply can't guess where they might fall in the alphabetical page order. The name filter works so great in other contexts, such as the grade book and in sorting people into groups. I was really pleased to find this idea so well presented. Saved me some time.  

jeremy_staples
Community Novice

To piggy back on this feature request it would be great if this feature allowed instructors to assign extra time or extra attempts to groups (rather than just individual students). By adding a group option under Quiz Moderation screen, instructors could easily create a group for students that have extra time accommodations, and define the time and attempts for that group in each quiz. Then for each subsequent section or semester, instructors need only to update the members of that group, rather than tediously defining the extra time and/or attempts for each student in each quiz each semester.

jsparks
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hello, Friends!

This is a solid idea, but not something we will implement on our existing Quizzing toolset.  We will consider this for future development in the Modern Quizzing Engine ; however, this would be further down the road. I will add this to our list of potential features. For now, I suggest we archive this idea.

Kind regards,

Jason

MattHanes
Community Champion

bob.jpg

snugent
Community Champion

I added a new feature request that is related to this feature request. It goes up for vote on July 6.

MattHanes
Community Champion

Hey everybody! I'm here at Hack Night 2016 and the amazing Deactivated user and ryant are hacking something together for us to tide us over until the new quizzing engine. Whoo hoo!

MattHanes
Community Champion

Check out the Beta Notes for this week, the filter is in Beta now. Whoo hoo!

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
  This idea has been developed and is On Canvas Beta How do I access the Canvas beta environment?

For more information, please read through the Canvas Beta Release Notes (2016-09-06)