cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add, Create, or Modify a Calculated or Total Column in the Gradebook

Add, Create, or Modify a Calculated or Total Column in the Gradebook

(2)

Being able to calculate things in the grade book beyond adding things up or weighting and adding seems like an absolutely necessary feature.  It seems like one of those that comes up repeatedly under various guises, but keeps getting archived.  But, I keep reading that there are lots of people who do more than just add things up to calculated grades.

75 Comments
Surveyor II

The biggest problem with Canvas is that it assumes that all of our courses and all of our teaching and grading styles and philosophies fit the One True Model™.  As I've used Canvas over the past year now, I've found that hands down, Blackboard is much more powerful, although it has a higher learning curve.  Canvas has a low learning curve, but that enabled because it is far too simple to handle many tasks.  The gradebook is, perhaps, the shining example of that, but sadly it's quite pervasive.

Surveyor II

We have times when we need to create manual columns in the gradebook.  Everything is not connected to a quiz or an assignment.  We had that option in Blackboard, that is one thing I miss being able to do.  We have a few courses with over 900 students in them and they are assigned to groups.  We used to add a column in the grade center to show which group each student was in.  I know there is the secondary info option in Canvas but it would be nice to have this information in its own column.

Surveyor

Canvas needs to give instructors the ability to create columns that calculate scores based on other columns where I can assign each column a different weight. Whomever decided that I should have to waste a ridiculous amount of time creating "assignment groups" has clearly never taught classes before.

In addition, I should also be able to create my own letter grade column wherein I can assign final letter grades to be exported to the registrar. Your grading scheme "feature" is also a colossal waste of time and does not allow instructors to have complete control over final grades. 

Surveyor

I need to have a text column in the gradebook for grades such as "Honors", "High Pass", etc that are based on percentage average as well as projects completed.

Surveyor II

@matthew-stuckwiyou are correct.  Blackboard's grade center does a lot more than the Canvas grade book.  Creating columns manually is one if the things faculty our miss the most.  I'm really hoping Canvas will listen and add that to the grade book.