Add Grade by Question Feature in New Quizzes

0 Likes
(61)
Idea is currently in development

Classic quizzes has the option to grade by question.  For example, if question 33 is an essay question, I can go from student to student and it always lands on question number 33.  This is not available in New Quizzes, and I can't figure out why they would drop such a great feature.  It is a ton of work to have to choose a kid, scroll, grade, scroll to the bottom to hit update, change kid, scroll, grade, scroll to hit update, change kid, etc.  Bring back the grade by question functionality, please!

Comments from Instructure

We have several related ideas we're tracking around this request:

Compile all essay responses to a quiz question on ...

Add Grade by Question Feature in New Quizzes (this one)

Improve Grade One Question at a time

New Quizzes: Grade by Question on one page

55 Comments
JD_Ponder
Community Explorer

This would be an amazing solution to the issue of having tests that are not multiple choice/auto-graded!  Right now, all extended response questions require me to grade each individual.  As an instructor, I lose the feel of what people are missing and the grading becomes less consistent. 

susan_cortez
Community Member

This would be great to have and would make grading so much easier and more consistent. 

JustinLMatthews
Community Explorer

One way to grade consistently is to mark all the same questions together, then move on to the next question. MANY people prefer to grade in this fashion, and this option should ABSOLUTELY be available to us using Canvas.

Please bring this functionality back!

DavidLoy
Community Member

I could not agree more with this request. From time to time, poor item discrimination will determine that an individual question is poor performing or invalid and needs to be tossed. Canvas' competitor provided the option of grading items INDIVIDUALLY thus making mass changes with one simple click. However, in Canvas, I must re-visit some 35 student quizzes and identify/edit all individual items. Canvas certainly is a superior platform than your competitor, but this is an incredible inconvenience that would seem to be a very simple fix. PLEASE add the grade by question option to REALLY have a "SPEED GRADER". There's nothing SPEEDY about having to re-visit EVERY student quiz individually to change points per individual items. 

gknapp
Community Member

This would be wonderful!

heatherdammeyer
Community Member

Please fix this!

DeneceMorriss
Community Member

When grading quizzes in SpeedGrader, the top margin tells which questions need to be graded by the teacher.  In the past it was linked to the actual question that needed to be graded.  Currently you have to scroll to each question instead jumping to the question.  

As an IB teacher, I tend to grade one question at a time through my entire class.  This ensures that I grade each student's response equitably.  Scrolling does not take long, but in the past I recall being able to click on the question and jumping right to it.  I would love to see this feature brought back, if possible.

Thank you for always being willing to accept our suggestions

Reni Morriss

Trinity High School
Euless, TX

kbathBCP
Community Explorer

Upvote @ES4 's comment about unshuffling shuffled questions for grading! I'd like to see this in New Quizzes AND in Classic Quizzes.

MichaelDana
Community Member

The ability to grade one or a few questions at a time is essential for complex essay questions for which partial credit may be earned. My mind needs to be fully engaged with the specific question topic all at once to recognize responses that deserve partial credit. When I recognize a partial credit response, it is far easier to give partial credit consistently If I'm grading that question (or a short group of related questions) for all students before moving onto the next question. 

marafinom
Community Explorer

Similar to how Classic Quizzes provides instructors with the ability to grade question by question, it would be useful if New Quizzes had the same feature. Many of our faculty members are used to the feature being available in our old LMS.

kblum
Community Novice

For high school humanities, it would be useful to grade each short response/essay question by question for all students so that we can focus on one question at a time and ensure that our grading is very focused and consistent. 

DECUYPER_Jasper
Community Member

It would be nice if we could grade one quiz question at a time in SpeedGrader for the new quizzes, similar to the classical quizzes.

amyslack
Community Participant

This would be so helpful as some instructors just have a handful of questions they need to review and grade manually but having to shift through all the questions (especially if they are shuffled and in different order for each student) is so time consuming. This would greatly improve faculty experience with the speedgrader with New Quizzes! Please consider this. Another option would be to filter each student by question type (like filter to only the fill in the blank or short answer, etc for each student and be able to toggle through students with that filter enabled. 

jbeyer1
Community Participant

I agree.  In order to make sure that I am grading each student equitably, it's nice to be able to grade by question.  I cannot tell you the number of times I have caught myself because I am grading assignments on two different days.  It's not something I am doing contentiously but sometimes I rethink what I consider to be the correct answer.  If I have review question by question, it prevents this from happening.  

amyslack
Community Participant

That is a very good point @jbeyer1

I think also for some faculty it can help to see one question at a time for a range of what students responded with, especially since the New Quiz Reports do not break that down for fill in the blank or short answer so it can help the instructor get a better feel for what range of answers students submitted and how to address common mistakes or misconceptions much more easily. It gives them easy data to make better decisions that can better drive instruction. 

Gregory_Putman
Community Participant

Hi,

I have quizzes that have short essay questions but most are multiple choice, formula, etc.  Having the ability to see the question text, scroll through all student responses together for that question in order to see the variation in answers, make overview assessments, etc., would be a great help.  TAs do this but I need to do random quality assurance checks in order to provide feedback, in addition to doing some of the grading myself (multiple sections across multiple different courses...).

KinseyMoritz
Community Member

Please! This was an absolute game changer when it was available.

burdicks
Community Participant

Yes, please add the option to grade by question. 

PegChecchi
Community Explorer

This needs to happen.  My poor faculty are sobbing into their whiskey at this point...

JustinLMatthews
Community Explorer

Seriously. This feature was requested OVER 2 YEARS AGO. Sometimes, I cannot believe that Canvas is a PAID SERVICE. The lack of response over this issue is egregious.