Add Grade by Question Feature in New Quizzes

0 Likes
(61)
Idea is currently in development

Classic quizzes has the option to grade by question.  For example, if question 33 is an essay question, I can go from student to student and it always lands on question number 33.  This is not available in New Quizzes, and I can't figure out why they would drop such a great feature.  It is a ton of work to have to choose a kid, scroll, grade, scroll to the bottom to hit update, change kid, scroll, grade, scroll to hit update, change kid, etc.  Bring back the grade by question functionality, please!

Comments from Instructure

We have several related ideas we're tracking around this request:

Compile all essay responses to a quiz question on ...

Add Grade by Question Feature in New Quizzes (this one)

Improve Grade One Question at a time

New Quizzes: Grade by Question on one page

55 Comments
KelliNielsen
Community Member

We desperately need this feature. We team teach in our program with up to 13 faculty members grading at one time. I might only have 1-2 questions on a 60 item exam. I have to scroll through 59 questions to get to my question. This is going to make grading a nightmare. 

Denham
Community Participant

The amount of time marking takes makes it very difficult when you cannot view by question.

It's especially important when quizzes are using a bank, and marking essay questions to be able to view all submissions for each different question (so 3 people may get question X, 10 get question Y, 6 get question Q etc)\

We used this feature heavily in Blackboard and are getting reports from academics of marking time blowing out due to not being able to mark by question.

joshua_johnson1
Community Explorer

Yes please!!

mklein
Community Explorer

Please include this feature in new quizzes!! When grading many assignments without this it is very time consuming. 

Any status update on this?

JustinLMatthews
Community Explorer

I still cannot believe Canvas is a PAID service and we still DO NOT have a solution here.

Going on TWO YEARS NOW. We need answers Canvas. This is ridiculous.

What is it going to take for you to listen to your PAYING customers?

kent_ratajeski
Community Member

WHY ISN'T THIS FIXED?!?!  Canvas, are you listening to our comments?  Can someone from Canvas give us an updated on this please?    

JimForney
Community Member

Please add the ability to grade question by question.

boardmal
Community Member

I have switched to New Quizzes from Classic for 2 of my 5 class sections as using the item banks and other features work nicely for randomization/shared item banks among courses, accommodations that persist across all quizzes, etc.

BUT: for my other three sections where an exam will require that about 40% of the questions have to be manually graded (rather than auto-graded by canvas) I am not switching over yet as I just realized I cannot grade by item.  This feature is critical to being consistent and fair to students, avoiding bias, etc.  This feature existed in Classic Quizzes; it is an extremely important capability. 

VeronicaJHoward
Community Member

Agreed - grading by question would help expedite grading (as others have mentioned), promote consistency in feedback, and make the overall grading process less painful.

It would also permit me to use an essential strategy for student feedback: the quiz "wrapper" question. On each quiz, I used to include a question where students could give open feedback/concern/improvement. Including it on the quiz increased the probability of student comment (instead of adding on with a new assessment), and made it easier to get that feedback. Without the option to score/adjust JUST this question, I won't be able to include this in future assessments, and it will make me a less present and engaged instructor.

jbeyer1
Community Participant

I use grade-by-question for essay and file upload questions.  Please add this to new quizzes.  

kstubbs1
Community Explorer

Yes, add this feature! How this feature ever got dropped is beyond me. Were no instructors involved in development?  It is absolutely essential.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: In Development
  Comments from Instructure

Please see the Canvas Roadmap for more details!

VeronicaJHoward
Community Member

Thank you. 

To confirm clarity, I believe this means the idea is currently being developed in Q4 2022? Relevant information copied below:

Educators can save time, especially when re-grading by being able to jump to a single quiz item, and grade that same question across all students.

What's new?

• Instructors will be able to grade one question at a time across all student submissions of a New Quiz.
  • Instructors will be able to quickly jump to questions requiring manual grading.

Why is it valuable?

Educators will save time and be able to easily personalize grading New Quizzes with items that require manual scoring in SpeedGrader.

Conversations:

Gregory_Putman
Community Participant

I would like to add to "Why is it valuable" above that this should also give us one-stop-shopping to :

• compare all of the student responses to the question being graded manually so we can be more consistent in grading these items
  • easily see the various responses we get so we can quickly and easily identify common misunderstandings that students have and get a rough idea of how common those are so we can address them in class
rmartini
Community Participant

I'm very glad to see an update that this is in development for New Quizzes! I saw at least one earlier comment mention this, but I wanted to add some additional feedback that may be useful as this is still in development: 

It would be really helpful if the grade by question feature also allows instructors to grade by the actual question and not just grade by question number/position in the test (when instructors use question groups/item banks to randomize the order of questions).

My university is still fairly new to Canvas, but when we initially transitioned I was really surprised that "grade by question" really just meant grading by the question position in a test. If an instructor used question groups to shuffle questions, there was no consistent way to grade by the actual question being asked (because the essay question might be #3 for one student, but #10 for the next, and #9 for the next, etc.). My hope is that by improving grading by question in New Quizzes, there will truly be a way to grade by question when they're shuffled with item banks/question order is randomized. This randomization is highly encouraged for our larger courses, so improving the ability to grade like this would be a huge win for our instructors and teaching assistants. We really need the ability to grade by the actual question and not just the position of the question in a quiz.