Add Horizontal Rule to Rich Text Editor

I use the horizontal rule in the rich text editor frequently when I want to break up instructions or separate a topic from a response in a discussion. I am able to do so by using html code to add it in. It would be nice if it was an option in the rich content editor, such as in the option bar. In other text editors that I use, it is an option. Since most teachers don't usually edit their content in html, that would be a handy little feature to have!  Thank you for voting up!

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

For more information, please read through https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-18528-canvas-release-notes-2020-03-21 

8 Comments
ProfessorBeyrer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Nice idea Tina Steele. I voted it up though our universal design colleagues would encourage faculty to use headings rather than something explicitly visual to break up text. People who listen to pages rather than reading them will benefit from hearing why the break is there. 

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Thanks for sharing this idea,  @steeletm . It has gone forward for a vote at least once before, but didn't receive robust support.  @James ‌ posted a comprehensive comment under the now-archived idea about the use of the horizontal rule, and those who are interested can join the Cold Storage group to view the idea and comment.

ProfessorBeyrer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Thanks Stefanie. Cold Storage is well worth joining. There is some treasure there waiting to be recovered, including the erudite comment from James. 

thompsli
Community Champion

Adding a hr tag is the second most common reason I end up toggling to HTML mode in the RCE (cleaning up residual weirdness from a copy and paste situation is probably the most common).

I mostly use them to separate out "hints"/extra resources at the bottom from the actual assignment. As I re-use assignments from year to year, more and more of them get a "hints/tips/extra resources" section at the bottom of the assignment proper, and having an extra visual section delimiter in addition to the section heading is useful since it sets it further apart from the actual assignment. (If we were allowed course-level custom CSS, I can think of many nicer ways to do this than with an hr, but since we are not it is the least hassle I have been able to come up with since it's quick to code by hand on the fly.)

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Comments from Instructure

This idea has been implemented and is now on Canvas Beta. For more information, please read through the Canvas Release Notes (2020-03-21)

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the Canvas Release Notes (2020-03-21) 

@steeletm  Thank You for submitting this idea, as well as  @ProfessorBeyrer  Thank You and  @thompsli  Thank You for your contributions. Your investment in this idea helped refine a feature that is now part of Canvas!

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Completed