Add Instructor Notes to Quiz Questions

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Please add a "Solutions" option on quiz questions.  We can add comments to essay questions in Canvas for students but there is no place to add "Solutions" to each question for Instructors grading the exam.  This is helpful to instructors, when grading, to see the solution as well as the student's answer.  This feature is very important on questions from a random draw pool because the instructor sees the question, student response, and solution no matter which questions are drawn from the pool.

110585_pastedImage_1.png110585_pastedImage_1.png    

Comments from Instructure

This idea was completed with general availability of Quizzes.Next.  You can find more information about the overall project in the Quizzes.Next User Group.‌

• Quizzes.Next is now available for all paid accounts.
  • Quizzes.Next documentation will live in the Quizzes.Next User Group until July 14, 2018. On July 14, 2018, all of the documentation will be moved to the Canvas Guides in the Canvas Instructor Guide or Canvas Student Guide
  • Quizzes.Next updates will be included in the Canvas Release Notes. This includes new features, updated features, and relevant fixed bugs. New and updated features will be deployed to Quizzes.Next near the same time as the Canvas release. Fixed bugs may be deployed at any time.
19 Comments
Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

This idea has moved to the next stage and will be open for voting among the Canvas Community, from Wed. November 4, 2015 - Wed. February, 3, 2015.

Check out this doc for additional details about how the voting process works!

asatkins
Community Novice

What a great idea! We've been struggling with this as well and even ended up with an LTI, but it's not as handy as having it right there for the teacher (and not the student), especially if there's a large group of questions to choose from, as you mentioned. All of the workarounds get clunky when you don't know which essay question will get pulled.

kelli_ritter
Community Contributor

Really wish we could get more votes on this.  Which LTI are you using?

asatkins
Community Novice

We actually used Canvas Professional services to build us an LTI. It does it's job, but we really wanted something right in the main UI in either speedgrader or on the other grading page. I sent this request out to some others from my institution, so hopefully we can get it high enough that people start noticing and joining in!

canvas_admin
Community Champion

This is a timely feature for us because we like to include essay grading rubrics in Speedgrader for our TAs, but students can see those answer keys after the exam.  It would be REALLY NICE to have a place to host correct answers that are visible to graders but never to students at any point.

kelli_ritter
Community Contributor

Agreed.  Please help us get more votes.  We had this feature in eCollege and it was extremely helpful for instructors teaching a section of the same course.

Cindy_Masek
Community Contributor

This would be a wonderful feature. I came to this from a discussion about story notes on essay questions, but think this is more what I was picturing.  I know that on essay questions there may not be a rubric, but as a teacher you have in mind that there are for example, 3 points you want to see covered in a specific question.  When you have multiple essay questions in the same quiz and multiple quizzes, and they are randomized in the order in which they appear it becomes quite confusing to check for the word document you need for each question or quiz, especially if you teach several courses as many faculty do.  I wouldn't even mind if it was a link so that it didn't waste real estate.

jsparks
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hello Friends,

Thank you for this useful suggestion. We will consider this for our Modern Quizzing Engine.​ As we move this feature to under consideration, I'd like to hear more about what you'd want for this...  notes using the rich content editor (which would also enable embedding of media, content,  math mark-up, etc.)? Something more simple? Something more involved?  What other feature would you desire for this functionality?

Regards,

Jason

PS. Thank you,  @kona ​, for the catch!  That's what I get for multi-tasking.

Cindy_Masek
Community Contributor

Personally I'd like something fairly simple.  Just text would be fine with me, so long as the notes copied over to the next semester along with the rest of the course content.

jes17
Community Member

I think I could see having a nice text editor like we do when creating the quiz questions - that way, all bases are there when trying to create an answer key for these open ended type questions.