Add Multiple Rubrics to One Assignment

(42)

At our college, faculty would like the ability to attach more than one rubric to an assignment. This is especially the case when importing account level outcomes / rubrics.

Originally posted by Tony Anderson on the old community: Add Multiple Rubrics to One Assignment : Help Center 

Ideally, it would be great if there was an option to make the second rubric hidden from students. This feature would be quite valuable for us institutionally, when incrementally assessing learning outcomes in our GenEd program over a four-year period.

Sam McCool articulated this nicely on the old community board:

This feature would then enable an instructor to award a grade for an assignment based on a course level rubric aligned with the course outcomes as well as record an evaluation of the performance based on a program outcomes rubric. 

116 Comments
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Another example...  I finished building a course for one of our instructors this morning, and in the curriculum, the assignment was worth 30 points.  In the rubric, there were five rows.  The first two criteria were Met / Not Met (no points...just a check-off).  The last three criteria had possible values of 10, 8, 4, and 0.  For the Met / Not Met criteria, I had to assign Met at 1 point and Not Met at 0 points.  This increased the total points of the assignment from 30 to 32.  Smiley Sad  I had to let our instructor know about this...since I am uncomfortable with changing the number of points for assignments if the instructor had set it up the way (s)he wanted.

In addition, setting both Met and Not Met to 0 points wouldn't work either...because there are issues when it comes to grading in the SpeedGrader.  See part of my Feature Idea here: ... especially my additional comment in that thread from June 5, 2015 with the sample image of Yes / No criteria.

I suppose two separate assignments could be made (one graded, one not), but is that what the instructor would want?  I'm not sure.

anthonem
Community Contributor

Deactivated user​ - do you have follow-up questions based on our feedback? Any updates you can provide about this request? Thanks!

anthonem
Community Contributor

Deactivated user​ - I'm bugging you again about this question :smileylaugh:

Mccall Smith - do you have follow-up questions based on our feedback? Any updates you can provide about this request? Thanks!

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

Hi Mark,

Please don't expect the product managers to report back to you via the feature idea discussions.  When we have an update or news we will share it.

Thanks,

Scott

anthonem
Community Contributor

Oh, alright!

amy_gaffney
Community Novice

I just found this so I'm late to the game. I could see this suggestion being helpful for a situation I'm currently in. We have students doing a group presentation, which has two graded components: (1)everyone in the group gets the same points and (2)individuals get points based on their own performance. I currently plan to create two assignments: (1)group grade, assigned as a group assignment, and (2)individual grades. If I could put both rubrics on the same assignments and then add those two scores together, it would be fewer steps for me.

mcsmith
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

As Scott mentioned, we do not always respond right away. I apologize for the delayed response. Ill be responding to the group as whole shortly. Thanks!

mcsmith
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hi All,

We have gathered the necessary information for this feature. Oh how I wish we could build everything! The sad reality is we have to pick and choose where the priorities are. At this time, we do not expect that this feature will be developed in the next 6-12months. All of the input provided here has been incredibly valuable. Now when we do have capacity to build, we have the requirements and use cases defined. Thanks everyone for engaging in the dialogue!

mcsmith
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

When you linked an outcome(s) to a rubric, was the "score" of the rubric tied to proficiency for the aligned outcome(s)?

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
  Idea is currently in Product Radar Learn more about this stage...
lglassop
Community Novice

I have many rubrics with up to 44 items on them. However, they are categorised into 5 areas of competence. So it would be extremely useful to be able to add 5 smaller rubrics rather than one huge one. These are generally used for students undertaking practical work (e.g., waxing). For example:

• establish client priorities
  • prepare for service (e.g., waxing)
  • perform service (e.g., waxing)
  • review service provided and provide post service advice
  • clean service area

This is even more painful when can't copy and save a rubric; and cannot edit one once it is attached to an assignment.

edwina_fairall
Community Novice

@canvas_admin ‌

Are there any plans to engineer multiple rubrics on one assignment. This would be incredibly useful.

Thanks,

Edwina

Cirrus
Community Participant

I see this is an old topic, but I want to add another use case. I have a math professor who wants to assign 10 complicated problems a week to her students on paper, and then grade each one with a 5 point rubric. Currently, for her to do that, she can either:

A. Create 10 assignments A WEEK for each individual question and it's associated rubric

or 

B. Create one assignment with one GIANT rubric (10 sets of 5 repeated criterion with no visual heirarchy) which the students then have to review and compare to their homework questions ("I got marked of on criteria 23... what question number does that correlate to again?")

This information is part of the department competency and is currently entered into an excel spreadsheet and then assessed as a group across courses, which is, of course, a terrible way to do it, and required her to provide only that student's row of the excel sheet to each student, so I'd really like her to be able to use the canvas rubrics instead.

She loves using the canvas rubric to grade, but has to have so many variations of the same rubric (1 question, 2 questions, 3 questions, etc) that it's difficult for her to manage and annoying for the students to navigate. 

ashley_c_campbe
Community Novice

This is a crucial feature for elementary school teachers.  This needs to be added to make canvas more usable for teachers!

mcarbajalh
Community Member

Hello, how is the status on the radar of this idea, do you have a date?

blovegro
Community Novice

I am new to Canvas, but this looks like a very valuable feature to me. I have a lab report rubric that I want to use in one case to grade the report and also do an outcome assessment. Other times I want to use it just for a grade.

ryan_peters
Community Novice

We are also in need of this capability. I hope we can see it eventuate soon.

krgiffith
Community Member

Any word if this is coming down the pike? Clearly we all see a great use for it. 

marchal
Community Novice

Not having to attach a point value to the rubrics would remedy students' obsession with points and numbers and give them better focus on progress toward meeting learning outcomes.  Please let this become a reality before the next semester begins! #rubrics without points

tellison
Community Contributor

@marchal ‌ please take a look at the 7-14 release notes: Canvas Production Release Notes (2018-07-14).  There is a section under Grades in regard to Non-Scoring Rubrics.