Add Multiple Rubrics to One Assignment

(42)

At our college, faculty would like the ability to attach more than one rubric to an assignment. This is especially the case when importing account level outcomes / rubrics.

Originally posted by Tony Anderson on the old community: Add Multiple Rubrics to One Assignment : Help Center 

Ideally, it would be great if there was an option to make the second rubric hidden from students. This feature would be quite valuable for us institutionally, when incrementally assessing learning outcomes in our GenEd program over a four-year period.

Sam McCool articulated this nicely on the old community board:

This feature would then enable an instructor to award a grade for an assignment based on a course level rubric aligned with the course outcomes as well as record an evaluation of the performance based on a program outcomes rubric. 

116 Comments
hollysumner
Community Explorer

The option to add multiple rubrics to an assignment would be handy for instances when faculty do not want certain parts of a rubric (such as Outcomes and their associated points) to count towards the assignment grade. For example, many departments at our university use account-level Outcomes to track student competency for accreditation purposes. However, faculty generally do not want to use the points associated with those Outcomes for grading. If there could be one rubric for graded criteria and another for ungraded criteria (such as Outcomes), that could prevent many headaches.

That said, the most efficient workaround for our needs could involve toggling whether individual criteria within the same rubric are graded, instead of having to make this choice for all criteria in a rubric.

LauraFIU_IDT
Community Explorer

In medical education, the complexity of case based learning utilizes rubrics and sometimes multiple types of criteria for grading. It would be very helpful. I should also point out that the way you vote for an idea should be based on comments and the length of time that people request them - hence this is a really important idea 🙂

pazehoski
Community Participant

In reading this lengthy conversation thread, I see so many valid reasons why development of this idea would be so helpful. Yet 6 years into this conversation, there is still no mention of development plans. I am adding my vote to push this along and will be sharing this with my colleagues.

EllenHugo
Community Member

It would be great to be able to create and assign multiple rubrics to assignments in Canvas.

We are currently trying to digitise observation checklists for practical elements of our courses and having that be assessable alongside the mapped outcomes without creating confusion would be ideal.

mprinzing1
Community Explorer

I often give students at least 2 options for an assignment. I would love to have the ability to add multiple rubrics to one assignment. I would only need to use one of them at a time depending on which option a student chose for the assignment. 

Please make this a feature soon!!! 😄

ethomp78
Community Explorer

This would be helpful for many of the reasons listed above, and especially the ability to assess program outcomes and Gen Ed outcomes separately on the same assignment. 

AubreyThamann
Community Member

Currently we are unable to have both an assignment grade rubric and an outcome assessment rubric attached to the same assignment without the outcome score affecting the assignment grade (and overall grade of the course). It would be helpful if we could either attach two rubrics to one assignment (one for the assignment grade and one for the outcome assessment score) or if an item that is marked as an outcome would not affect the grade. If we uncheck the "use this criterion for scoring" box, then we can't effectively score the outcome (there is no place to enter the score in the gradebook). If we leave the box checked, it affects the grade of the assignment if the assignment has a grade rubric already attached.

RichDonnelly
Community Member

Chiming in with support for this idea, based on my convoluted approach to grading an assignment with three different options/sets of criteria.

PegChecchi
Community Explorer

We have a peer review assignment where we would like to give one rubric to the students so that they can fill it out and then have a separate assignment for the faculty so that they can grade.  Hopefully, this is doable at some point!  Thanks! peg

Denham
Community Participant

This would also be very handy for peer review. What I want the students to focus on with their feedback could be different then what is being focused on for marking

Denham
Community Participant

This would also make it better in terms of reusability of rubrics, eg bring in the generic rubric on referencing, and another generic one on report writing, then have specific on the subject matter. Also have one that ISN'T for marks (so turn points off) that is ear marked as for peer review etc.

avmccoy
Community Member

I'm not certain that this reason has been posted because there are so many really good reasons, I don't have time to read through them all.  

I have faculty who create rubrics which contain the solution to the problems students are being asked.  We certainly don't want the student to see that beforehand.  But we want the rubric to use for grading.  Multiple rubrics on one assignment is the only way I see to do that.

Can anyone tell me what the status of this idea currently is?  Or do you have other ideas for accomplishing this?

Thank you.

PegChecchi
Community Explorer

@avmccoyhello!  One way to provide the answers (without using the rubric) would be to create another file or page and time release it. 

1. Add the file with the correct information on it
  2. Click on the publish button to reveal a menu with the following options
    1. Publish
    2. Unpublish
    3. Only available to students with link
    4. Schedule student availability
  3. From there, you could provide students a link when they complete and need to check their answers or you could just pick a date for all to get the correct response.

I hope that this helps.  peg

avmccoy
Community Member

Thank you, Peg, but no it doesn't.  The goal isn't to get the students the answers.  The goal is to have a gradable rubric for the instructor without having to redo all of the rubrics that have answers.  Providing the answers to students after all has been graded isn't the issue.  Thanks again. Anita

Arkirchner
Community Member

I have no new case uses to suggest as they have all been listed above, but we also have many faculty who need two rubrics attached for various reasons such as a second rubric for peer review, grading outcomes for program mastery but not impacting the students' assignment grade, showing a first draft grade versus what the grade would be if submitted as a final document, etc. Please consider this ability and implement in Canvas!

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Archived

Thank you for sharing this idea with the Instructure Community!

The Product Team reviewed all feature proposals recently, and unfortunately, this thread was identified as one that they would not be able to include in their current or future plans. While we appreciate your proposal, we also want to be transparent about the likelihood of something like this making it to production.

Thank you for collaborating, and we hope that you submit another idea in the future!