cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add a term date filter in the 'Copy To' assignments menu

Add a term date filter in the 'Copy To' assignments menu

0 Kudos
(13)

We have been using the new Copy To feature for copying assignments to courses. It would be useful if there was also a filter menu for term dates in the Copy To menu as well as courses. We have multiple versions of the same course with the same name so it can be confusing knowing which one you are copying to as this screen shot shows.

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

For more information, please read through the Canvas Deploy Notes (2021-03-03).

25 Comments
Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Open for Conversation

lesliegarb88
Surveyor

Allowing a filter of courses or dates in the copy to menu would be helpful.  It is a disaster trying to decide which of the courses with the same course number are the current and active course. 

swells3
Surveyor II

I am BEGGING you to change this.  I have 15 courses in my course history all with the same name and CRN, and now they all pop up on the Copy To menu.  I have to copy every single page I post into one of these courses.  Which one? I have no way of knowing so I have to go one at a time trying them all.  Last term at least the current courses were separated out at the top, which made it slightly easier, but it would be even better if the course nicknames we add on the Dashboard transferred over to that menu.  I can't even imagine how this semester will go now that every section I've ever taught of the course pops up in that list and is indistinguishable from all the others.

trinems
Surveyor

I agree!  This makes no sense.  At the very least we should be able to see the term for the course (as we can when we are importing content from a Canvas course), and even more logically we should be able to see the nickname of the course--both when we "copy to" and when we import.  

kathryn_suk
Surveyor

I totally agree!  Courses should be organized under a date "filter".  Or, users should be offered the option to only see "favorite" or "active" courses!  Thanks for posting this!  Waiting to see "copy successful" or "copy unsuccessful" creates another step to minimize our efficiency.

Hildi_Pardo
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

This was reported by several teachers this past weekend, so it seems to have been a recent change for us.    It doesn't make sense to me that the Direct Share copy feature would include the option to copy TO past/concluded courses, especially since concluded courses cannot be edited.  (It does make sense that one could copy content FROM a concluded course, or import FROM a concluded course -- but not TO a concluded course).

Please fix one way or another (either by Term, or simply not including concluded courses.

diana_dempsey
Surveyor

I agree with Hildi. Please change it back to open courses only.

edtechmarcus
Surveyor

Yes, Hildi!  It would be extremely beneficial for users to have the ability to filter-down the course list.  I know that oftentimes, teachers really need/want the ability to "identify with a glance".  Filtering options would be great.

bcrook
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Agreed @Hildi_Pardo !

tammy_austin
Surveyor II

This would be helpful in all the districts I have ever supported!  Our course names rarely change so our teachers are seeing five years worth of courses ...

vailj
Surveyor II

The update that allowed direct-share content to a concluded course is great! However, sorting through all courses can be a pain. I would love to see a simple filter for the courses. Even active/past enrollment would be very helpful. I don't want to over complicate it, but some basic filtering would be amazing. Thank you!!

elizabetha_mosl
Surveyor

When using the Copy To feature, every single course I've ever taught listed as an option. Can the courses to select list ONLY the courses that are starred on my dashboard, or ONLY current courses, so I can more easily select the course I want to copy to?  The current system makes it very difficult to find the appropriate course because SIS-created courses are named basically the same thing, so it can be hard to distinguish the current courses I am working with. 

ysmalls
Adventurer III

Agreed!  It's great that all courses display now but it would be great for teachers to be able to differentiate between all the courses when the title is the same or almost identical.

Until this is corrected I have been sharing the following steps with my teachers that I found here in the community:

1. Open the course you are sharing to in another tab
  2. Copy the course ID from that course’s url. The course ID is the 6-digit number that follows courses/ in the url.
  3. Return to the course you are copying from, proceed to copy your item like normal. Instead of selecting from the drop down, paste the copied course ID in the select a course box. Click on the course name when it populates.

Hope this helps meantime.

mmtscn
Surveyor II

Hi,

I cannot use the "Copy To" function because I have the same course that has been offered in the past years, and when I choose the "Copy To" function, all past courses show up with the same name. I don't know which is which (Screenshot below).

I usually change the display name of a course a unique name. If the "Copy To" can show the unique name I have created on the Dashboard page, it would be great!

Thanks!

mmtscn_0-1612823462402.png

Nancy_Webb_CCSF
Adventurer

I see there's another similar idea: Remove-Copy-To-feature-that-shows-past-courses 

In it there's a reply from @Stefanie  dated 1/27/21, " Our engineers are aware of this issue and are working toward a resolution."

Hope so!

vrichter
Explorer

We are grateful for the copy to function, but we name our courses the very same thing from term to term (with the term being the variable) and it is nearly impossible for teachers to determine which shortname that appears in the list of Select a Course view is the intended course target.  Prior to a couple of months ago, only current term courses appeared, but recently all courses ever taught by that teacher (6 years' worth in our case) are on the list. Can this be changed back or can it be modified to show the term, or to select the current term courses only?  

Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: On Beta

Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team
Comments from Instructure

The Direct Share Copy To sidebar includes several enhancements to copy content to active or future courses. These changes help instructors more easily locate and copy course content into applicable courses.

For more information, please read through the Canvas Deploy Notes (2021-03-03).

vrichter
Explorer

Excellent!  Thank you!

Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Completed