Add a term date filter in the 'Copy To' assignments menu

We have been using the new Copy To feature for copying assignments to courses. It would be useful if there was also a filter menu for term dates in the Copy To menu as well as courses. We have multiple versions of the same course with the same name so it can be confusing knowing which one you are copying to as this screen shot shows.

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

For more information, please read through the Canvas Deploy Notes (2021-03-03).

28 Comments
vailj
Community Explorer

The update that allowed direct-share content to a concluded course is great! However, sorting through all courses can be a pain. I would love to see a simple filter for the courses. Even active/past enrollment would be very helpful. I don't want to over complicate it, but some basic filtering would be amazing. Thank you!!

elizabetha_mosl
Community Explorer

When using the Copy To feature, every single course I've ever taught listed as an option. Can the courses to select list ONLY the courses that are starred on my dashboard, or ONLY current courses, so I can more easily select the course I want to copy to?  The current system makes it very difficult to find the appropriate course because SIS-created courses are named basically the same thing, so it can be hard to distinguish the current courses I am working with. 

ysmalls
Community Champion

Agreed!  It's great that all courses display now but it would be great for teachers to be able to differentiate between all the courses when the title is the same or almost identical.

Until this is corrected I have been sharing the following steps with my teachers that I found here in the community:

1. Open the course you are sharing to in another tab
  2. Copy the course ID from that course’s url. The course ID is the 6-digit number that follows courses/ in the url.
  3. Return to the course you are copying from, proceed to copy your item like normal. Instead of selecting from the drop down, paste the copied course ID in the select a course box. Click on the course name when it populates.

Hope this helps meantime.

mmtscn
Community Explorer

Hi,

I cannot use the "Copy To" function because I have the same course that has been offered in the past years, and when I choose the "Copy To" function, all past courses show up with the same name. I don't know which is which (Screenshot below).

I usually change the display name of a course a unique name. If the "Copy To" can show the unique name I have created on the Dashboard page, it would be great!

Thanks!

mmtscn_0-1612823462402.png

Nancy_Webb_CCSF
Community Champion

I see there's another similar idea: Remove-Copy-To-feature-that-shows-past-courses 

In it there's a reply from @Stef_retired  dated 1/27/21, " Our engineers are aware of this issue and are working toward a resolution."

Hope so!

vrichter
Community Contributor

We are grateful for the copy to function, but we name our courses the very same thing from term to term (with the term being the variable) and it is nearly impossible for teachers to determine which shortname that appears in the list of Select a Course view is the intended course target.  Prior to a couple of months ago, only current term courses appeared, but recently all courses ever taught by that teacher (6 years' worth in our case) are on the list. Can this be changed back or can it be modified to show the term, or to select the current term courses only?  

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: On Beta

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Comments from Instructure

The Direct Share Copy To sidebar includes several enhancements to copy content to active or future courses. These changes help instructors more easily locate and copy course content into applicable courses.

For more information, please read through the Canvas Deploy Notes (2021-03-03).

vrichter
Community Contributor

Excellent!  Thank you!

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Completed