Add content creation setting (to quizzes, assignments, etc.) for disabling Google page translation

0 Likes
(7)

Within quizzes (or assignments, or any other type of content item within Canvas)  a setting could be added that at content creation time determines whether the item's Canvas page (implicitly created by Canvas) should allow (Google) translation. The ability to prevent page translation within quizzes (or assignments) would particularly suit language instructors who may be worried that their foreign language assessments might be getting translated by students, thus partially defeating their original purpose. 

8 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Moderating

@pgo586 

Thanks for sharing this idea. Have you seen or experienced examples of Google Translate popping up for students on a Canvas quiz or assignment? I just created some Spanish content and viewed it as a student using Chrome, but the browser did not prompt me to use Google Translate.

Please let us know!

pgo586
Community Contributor

Hi @Stef_retired, yes, we had a language instructor having this issue. While I wasn't dealing with the instructor myself, here's the information I got from a teammate: the problem was that one could right click on a PC ( not an issue with Macs) in Chrome (not an issue in other browsers) and select the translate to English option for any page in another language. So we had a colleague of mine (another developer) create a tool that using CSS is able to block this translation (as I understand it, a simple HTML tag determines whether the translation is enabled or not). Therefore, we understand that it should be trivial for Instructure to implement and offer as an option when (at least) creating quizzes or assignments (this solution would also be more desirable than ours). 

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@pgo586 

Thanks for the update! We're glad to learn that you've been able to find a custom CSS solution for this in the interim, and we've moved the idea forward for broader conversation.

healyeb
Community Explorer

For written exams in foreign languages the translator opening up is not a good option for the students to have.

dperpich
Community Participant

There are really so very many ways for students to get the translation if they want it, despite a Canvas setting otherwise. I worry that a "Do Not Translate" setting would give instructors a false sense of technical protection.

We first ran into this challenge four or five years ago with our Language Placement Tests (LPTs)!!!! when Chrome introduced the Translate This Page pop-up prompt. Terrible timing, as it coincided with the first year we required online, asynchronous LPTs in Canvas for incoming students.

We already had honor code language in place, and we had to agree to trust that it was in students' best interest to take the test on their own without assistance, human or otherwise, in order to be accurately placed in the most appropriate class. Trust and verify -- no one could place out of the language requirement without an in-person evaluation.

That said, I wonder if a "No Translation" feature is already actively deployed in third-party lockdown browsers for high stakes Assignments/Quizzes. 

pgo586
Community Contributor

Hi @dperpich, while you're most likely right that there are ways that students may still be able to get pages translated, this feature would at least prevent the (quite obvious) Google translation. I would hope that if the setting mentioned explicitly 'Google translation', then instructors would hopefully not gain a false sense of 'total protection' that you suggest. Good question regarding third party lockdown browsers (My guess is that they must be doing this already but might be good to double check?)

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.