Add course code to Profile -> Enrollments list

I'm not sure if this has been suggested before.  On the user profile page under Enrollments, the courses are listed with the title only.  It would be very helpful to also include the course code for easier identification.  The course code is used more often than course title in communications and requests within our organization.

6 Comments
kmeeusen
Community Champion

Hi  @tvanderkolk ‌

Actually this is not really a Canvas issue. Canvas only displays the course ID information that is provided to it by your school. I don't know if you use a SIS integration or CSV upload to provide Canvas your course information, but the names given Canvas through this process, is the name Canvas displays.

When our entire State CTC system migrated to Canvas 5+ years ago, our state board developed our SIS integration, and the pilot schools quickly identified this as a problem - the course title info our users needed did not display, so all of us worked with the state to change our course naming conventions and format, so that what users needed is what is displayed. Below is and example....

HIT105 3385 - F17 - Comprehensive Med Term

Since every account is different, I would suggest talking with your Canvas Admin, and suggest they start a conversation with your district or whatever agency about making these changes for your accont.

I hope this helps,

Kelley

tvanderkolk
Community Participant

Hi Kelley,

I do believe it is a Canvas issue in that they can display more than just the course title.  The course title and course code are separate fields in the Course Details.  The Enrollments view I mentioned earlier only shows the course title.  It would be redundant for the course code to be included in the course title.  I recognize that there are many ways to set up data in Canvas.  Rather than expect everyone to adhere to one standard, I'm asking for a small enhancement that would likely benefit many.

Course Details

kmeeusen
Community Champion

Hi again, Tim!

Both fields are populated by whatever system is used to populate courses in your Canvas account.

Again, not a Canvas issue, as Canvas is only displaying what it has been told to display by your account managers. Below is a screenshot from one of our courses.....

257780_pastedImage_1.png

I think it is very important that the course code be included in the title field, because that is what distinguishes multiple sections in a single term, and the term itself when users are searching their courses list.  It would be quite challenging if you had taught four sections of the same course, every term for four years. A teacher would have to open everyone to find the one they need.

I hope this helps,

Kelley

tvanderkolk
Community Participant

Hi Kelley,

I can appreciate that your organization has taken the extra step of including that in the Name field.  As far as I can tell, there is no requirement as to the content that needs to be in the course name field.  Again, I'm not looking to change our process on the back end.  I'm just asking for more information that is available in Canvas to be displayed on a page view.  

bmichel
Community Member

Yikes. You changed your entire course name structure? We're at just over 1k courses, I'd sure hate to do that, simply to make things more accessible for our faculty members. The info is all there, it would just be a matter of displaying the appropriate fields. This isn't a major feature request.

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.