Add course_template_id to SIS Imports for Courses for using different course template courses

0 Likes
(6)

In our other vendor LMS system we could easily supply a specific course template course identifier for our SIS Import files.  This allowed us to use different course template courses depending on the course format such as one for face-to-face/on-campus courses, online, or hybrid/blended. 

While I see Canvas added the Course Templates feature:

https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Releases/Canvas-Release-Notes-2021-05-15/ta-p/458153#toc-hId--165...

It unfortunately can only set a single template course to choose from the drop down list for our SIS Imports.  We need to be able to use different template courses depending on the type of courses we are importing.  If we had the ability in the SIS Imports Course CSV file a column such as course_template_id to specify a particular template course then we could use different ones.

In addition to the above SIS Import requested feature, for manually created courses it would be nice to be able to expand the recent Canvas Course Templates feature that was added to set one template course for each Course Format (On-Campus, Online, Blended) and if we wanted to have different for each Sub-Account then that would be ideal.

Thank you! 

🔎 This idea has been archived. While this idea isn't open for comments, it is an important part of Instructure’s idea conversations and development process. Contributions like this are valuable as Instructure prioritizes work on new or existing features.

6 Comments
ward_michael
Community Participant

I should add that if a course_template_id was added as a column to the SIS Import Courses.csv that the course copy of the template course only occurs for newly created courses.  If the course already exists in Canvas then only update the other course column data but do not process again the template copy.  That is how our other LMS system did it.  Thank you! 

ward_michael
Community Participant

For reference the SIS Import doc to potentially add a course_template_id field for Courses so we could use whatever template course we want to specify during import:

https://canvas.instructure.com/doc/api/file.sis_csv.html

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@ward_michael  This is currently done through consulting hours for many SIS Integrations, so if you'd like to have this implemented at your institution, please reach out to your Customer Success Manager for further information.

jfountain
Community Participant

We utilize the blueprint column in SIS flat files, I'd prefer to use course templates.  If I'm reading this right, there is no column yet in the course upload file for course templates.  Is that correct?

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Archived

Can be currently done with consulting hours for many (not all SIS Integrations), but Instructure does want to offer this as an admin configurable setting at some point. However, it is it likely won't be completed for a long time.