[Peer Review] Add due date for completing peer review

Situation

The due date of the assignment reminds students to complete the assignment in time. When peer reviews are enabled students don't have an indication or reminder to complete the peer reviews before a certain date and time. When a teacher wants to access the given reviews, it would be necessary that the reviews have been added by students before the scheduled date and time.

Suggested solution

Add a reviews due box with which a date and time can be entered:

219017_pastedImage_3.png

Also have this due date reflected in the To Do Lists and trigger notifications based on the user notification settings.

The guides How do I know if I have a peer review discussion to complete? and How do I know if I have a peer review assignment to complete? currently contain the text: Note: Currently the Due Date in the To Do List does not accurately display the due date for completing your peer review. If details about your peer review are not already included in the details of your assignment, please contact your instructor.

This would removes the confusion about the date in the To Do list and the notes in these guides could then be removed.

219018_pastedImage_9.png

Note: please also vote for https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/8148-respecting-sections-when-automatically-assigning-peer-rev... 

Added to Theme

59 Comments
jenny_millea
Community Novice

The University of Canberra also strongly supports this idea as it's causing significant confusion for staff and students in knowing due dates - ie a high stakes issue. What is the plan, Instructure? This item has been around for over a year on the community, and has over the required number of votes to move it forward. 

rdeutsch
Community Novice

Great idea! I'd like to expand on it to recommend allowing multiple sequential due dates for an assignment. Instructors could assign a title to each due date such as "Peer Review Due" or "First Draft Due". I encourage my students to submit drafts before the final due date and the only way I know how to do this in Canvas is by creating multiple assignments. This feature is available in many of the publishers' application software but does not integrate with Canvas due to the multiple due dates. 

marie_hone
Community Explorer

Could not agree more.  This would be a great help in coordinating and keeping things organized for students and staff alike.

Marie

samantha_eastma
Community Novice

I agree that a due date for the peer review portion of an assignment is needed, as well as the capability or option to score the peer review of a submission rather than the submission itself. I would also like to see the ability to assign individual peer review on group submissions without all members of the group being able to see one another's reviews.

dperpich
Community Participant

The UX and feature-set for Peer Review could both use a comprehensive update. At our institution, a whole new LTI tool was developed locally to support a more robust and intuitive peer-review workflow.

lehrendh
Community Novice

Canvas, why do you even have group and peer-review functions? I can only guess since this has been an issue since 2015 and posted across multiple threads that Canvas has no plans on doing this. It's really a shame. Do they even have educators working for them? Building learning communities is at the heart of any meaningful education. It seems like Canvas is just interested in "teaching to the test." Also trying to use the group function, and there's no rhyme or reason to it. 

mwolfenstein
Community Participant

This appears to be the same feature request as https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/1294-have-two-due-dates-for-peer-review-assignments?sr=search&...‌. If there isn't duplicate voting between them, there's over 800 votes for this feature which would put it in or near the top 10 feature requests. Should these be merged, and if so how is that done?

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@mwolfenstein ‌, the platform doesn't allow us to merge ideas, but as you'll see in the idea description for each of these ideas, they are already part of the quarterly prioritization process and their votes are being considered together.

mwolfenstein
Community Participant

Thanks stefaniesanders‌, definitely good to know.

caryn
Community Member

I'm sorry to hear this particular idea will likely not make it into upcoming development cycles. This really does cause significant student confusion. It puts the instructor in a position to come up with very strange workarounds (e.g. an assignment to submit the original work and do the peer review, with a second assignment that indicates when the peer review is actually due). 

It is very challenging to help students work through the process as it currently stands - and there will always be a number of students who "fall through the cracks."