[Peer Review] Add due date for completing peer review

Situation

The due date of the assignment reminds students to complete the assignment in time. When peer reviews are enabled students don't have an indication or reminder to complete the peer reviews before a certain date and time. When a teacher wants to access the given reviews, it would be necessary that the reviews have been added by students before the scheduled date and time.

Suggested solution

Add a reviews due box with which a date and time can be entered:

219017_pastedImage_3.png

Also have this due date reflected in the To Do Lists and trigger notifications based on the user notification settings.

The guides How do I know if I have a peer review discussion to complete? and How do I know if I have a peer review assignment to complete? currently contain the text: Note: Currently the Due Date in the To Do List does not accurately display the due date for completing your peer review. If details about your peer review are not already included in the details of your assignment, please contact your instructor.

This would removes the confusion about the date in the To Do list and the notes in these guides could then be removed.

219018_pastedImage_9.png

Note: please also vote for https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/8148-respecting-sections-when-automatically-assigning-peer-rev... 

Added to Theme

59 Comments
tmcdonough
Community Novice

My (rather unsatisfactory) work-around is to create a separate assignment for peer review completion. The deliverable is a spreadsheet that lists the student names and scores that the reviewer assigns to those names. I still have to hire a TA to manually scan the peer review scores.

So in addition to the due date it would be desirable to have a way to export the peer reviews (grading rubrics and doc viewer annotations) for processing outside of Canvas. If the doc viewer annotations are too much to ask, then at least provide a way to export the completed grading rubrics.

Ideal scenario:

1. Assignment posted with due date and peer review due date.
  2. Peer reviews assigned automatically as currently implemented.
  3. Peer reviews that are assigned to each student would constitute a separate assignment with its own due date and grading rubric.
  4. Export the completed peer review annotations as well as the completed rubrics.
hilbert
Community Novice

Yes, this is VERY MUCH needed. It is really confusing for students, and impossible to manage for instructors in a fair manner. It shouldn't be difficult to add, since you have this functionality for other assignments. What is the problem with adding it? Many users have begged for this feature for 3 years already...

ashleya2
Community Participant

Agreed! I wonder if there's a way that the Canvas Community can merge the votes/ideas from this idea and https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/1294-have-two-due-dates-for-peer-review-assignments ? I think they're functionally the same....

jwr0015
Community Explorer

Please consider what peer review is used for. The author of a submission needs feedback. They also need time to integrate feedback into their revision drafts. If there is no feedback to work with the author suffers. The lack of a due date on peer review activities excludes the activity from the mental workflow scheduling. With no trigger to begin or end the activity of peer review, the Panic Monster does not awaken to drive away the Instant Gratification Monkey and let the Rational Decision Maker take over! (Tim Urban: Inside the mind of a master procrastinator | TED Talk )

A due date for (and possibly a participation point ) for peer review could drastically improve the odds of every writer getting some feedback . . . and improve the chances of receiving it in time to make proper use of it. Placing an end date in the same area that the peer review assignment time/day control already exists would be a boon to writers in Canvas courses.

spraguem
Community Participant

I would vote for this 1000 time is I could. I cannot believe that Canvas does not have this functionality!

elc55
Community Member

due date for peer review is a must. Why hasn't this been fixed yet?  Please please please. Do it.

toni_ivey
Community Explorer

This is very much needed.  Let's make this happen.

dbnumbers
Community Novice

Why hasn't this happened yet, Canvas?  No due date option for peer reviews is a major flaw in the feature.  Make it happen.

kristin_riggs-1
Community Member

Infuriating that this has not been added, especially considering what an easy add it would be and how many people need this.  With so many courses online right now, the easier it is to manage due dates in Canvas, the better for everyone.

lmarks
Community Participant

Why isn't this open for voting, yet? This needs to be a priority especially with the teaching environment we are currently in.