Add filtering to Student View of Grades

0 Likes
(5)

Students can only Arrange By their view of Grades. As a term progresses the Grades screen for them gets really full and busy. If we provide students with some filtering options they could temporarily hide assignments they've already turned in, for example, which will help them focus on what they still need to do.

7 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

cmaggart
Community Explorer

I need to be able to arrange by more than one filter at a time on individual student's grades page. I want to be able to sort by category and due date at the same time or category and alphabetical at the same time. I need to cross check syncing of grades to our SIS and when there is a discrepancy, it would be easier if I could look at the grades by category and in the same list fashion, e.g. alphabetical or date. As of now, you can only do one at a time. When you select by category, it doesn't list them alphabetically or by date. It is close, but not either.

CarlaD07
Community Explorer

Our courses are year long courses at the elementary and middle school level. We are currently using Canvas for Elementary. By the end of the first half of the year, some courses have 40+ assignments in Canvas. During second semester the list continues to grow. 

The problem: Students and Observers see a running list of assignments and grades in the Grades tab. They do not have any options to filter the running list of assignments in the Grades tab or to search for a specific assignment.

Idea Suggested: Create filters and/or search options for Students and Observers in the Grades Tab. For example, a Module and Assignment Group filter similar to a teacher's gradebook so the Student/Observer can limit the lists of assignments they are seeing to a specific Module or Assignment Group.

If adding filters for Students and Observers would be two separate Idea Conversations, I would want the students prioritized and for this to be created for Students first and foremost. 

Briannah205
Community Novice

Students in lower grade levels have a hard time managing their work online. It would be nice for them to be able to search their grades for assignments. That way they can find assignments by name, status (like pull up a list of all their missing assignments), or score (example: if they scored below half on an assignment, so they can target what assignments they may want to redo. 

I work with middle school students and they regularly do not know what their missing assignments are and would benefit immensely if they could generate a list on their own that they could use as a personal checklist to correct mistakes. It would also give several students peace-of-mind to search and know they don't have any missing assignments easily. 

This would also be helpful for parents/observer accounts so they can work with their child to help them see what is going on. 

grahamra
Community Member

Many of my high school students struggle to understand how completing higher weighted assignments first raises their grade faster. While there is an option to sort assignments by type, it would be helpful to also have them sorted or identified so that high-impact assignments stand out from regular classwork and reference pages.

Really anything that helps more heavily weighted assignments stand out so students know where to start (every teacher weighs their grades differently) is what would be beneficial. 

Thank you

keith_oatley
Community Member
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived