Add functionality to print the calendar from within Canvas

(4)
Please consider adding functionality to print the calendar from within Canvas. I have heard several other students comment on desiring this feature at my school. It makes it easier to post on a bulletin board at home and keep up with assignments. (PDF would be my first thought). Within browser would be fine too as long as the format was readable.

In addition how are periodic discussion posts put into the calendar?

Example: Initial post due by Wednesday, Reply due by Friday, Final posts due by Sunday, etc.

Thank You.

24 Comments
scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

Hello DRBROOKS,

Thank you for taking the time to submit to the feature ideas forum.

I just now updated your idea submission to the queue that will open for vote on June 3rd.

Cheers,

Scott

Beth_Young
Community Contributor

Periodic discussion posts can be a challenge to put into the calendar. The way I have settled on: make the final post in the series a graded discussion. Create separate assignments for the earlier discussion post(s) but ask students to submit them to the graded discussion. That way, three separate assignments show up on the syllabus, calendar, assignments page, etc., but I can grade all of a student's posts at the same time.  Other people have developed other strategies.

There's a feature request to allow multiple due dates for the same discussion assignment: " modifiedtitle="true" title="Multiple Due Dates (checkpoints) for Discussions

DRBROOKS
Community Novice

This discussion due date difficulty can be understandable. understandable. The ability to print a color coded calendar is still invaluable though. PDF Export is great too to keep up with things. 

Many syllabi are not exportable via PDF/word documents either. This isn't critical, as sometimes you can just copy/paste or the send it to everyone via email.

allison
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Brooks,

Thanks for your request. I'd be really interested to hear more from you and the voters on this thread about how you would utilize a printed color coded calendar. How many copies would you make? Who would you share them with? When would you reference it? What calendar format would you prefer (weekly, monthly, agenda, etc.)? How many days worth of activity would you like to print at one time?

Answers to these questions will help us understand the problems you are trying to solve with a printed copy of the calendar.

Looking forward to learning more,

Allison

lwuest
Community Novice

It would be great if the printed calendar could include the names of people who signed up on the scheduler so that an instructor could print out a hard copy of individual appointments. This would be especially useful if someone else is managing the scheduler for several different faculty members.

malone
Community Explorer

We use the calendar heavily and this would be very useful. We'd love to see functionality similar to D2L's include details option when printing the calendar. It'd be great to be able to create a single PDF with the full details of each event for a specific course.

allison
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@lwuest ​, I'm adding your idea to my list of wishlist items for the Scheduler. Printing the calendar is something we would like to reconsider at a later date. I will archive this thread for now, but feel free to add additional comments and context for how this feature would improve your daily workflows.

hoesterj
Community Participant

PLEASE add the option to print out a detailed weekly calendar.  Then with the list of dates, the printed copy would have all of the details about what  is to be covered on each of the dates.  ANGEL and Blackboard had this option and as an instructor I really miss this option.  Students who have used   these other LMS have mentioned this as well. 

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
  Idea is currently in Product Radar Learn more about this stage...
vallehe
Community Novice

I'm surprised this is not yet a feature. Please make this happen asap. Thanks!

chester_kozikow
Community Novice

If it's possible to add on a suggestion. Print the calendar (and agenda) with the location. 

lph
Community Champion

It was posted a year ago that this suggestion was on the product radar. I still don't see a means to print a course calendar. It's invaluable to have a printed calendar for students who are very disorganized.

This is also helpful during Parent Teacher conferences with parents who do not have access to an online system -- cannot afford internet connection or do not allow it. 

Has there been progress on printing a course calendar?

kaitlyne_gianne
Community Novice

This would be a very helpful idea! Being able to print out a calendar and highlight, mark certain dates or strike through completed tasks would be helpful to students to stay organized and on schedule.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

The Radar idea stage has been removed from the Feature Idea Process.  You can read more about why in the blog post Adaptation: Feature Idea Process Changes.

This change will only impact the stage sort of this idea and will not change how it is voted on or how it is considered during prioritization activities.  This change will streamline the list of ideas 'open for voting', making it easier for you to see the true top voted ideas in one sort, here.

hoesterj
Community Participant

PLEASE We need a way to print out the details for each day for the month.  In our nursing program we put things like what unit to focus on, what lab readings to do all within the calendar.  Thus we need a way to be able to print out ALL of these details for the month.  ANGEL course management system had this capability and it was nice.  It's 'Agenda' form and weekly forms gave you a print out of the details of each day.  

Jane Hoesterey 

College of Central Florida

#Functionality of calendar

hoesterj
Community Participant

Also note that I brought this up in April of 2016!!!

cmkallen
Community Novice

YES!! PLEASE - the calendar can be great for putting in each class agenda as events but it would be really useful to print a copy as well so I don't have to log into the system every time I want to check a detail.  

For my own uses, I will have to re-write ALL of that information into a word document so I can also have it printed.

That makes the calendar tool nearly useless for anything except telling students when the assignment is due.

josey130090
Community Novice

Please create a function to print the calendar, and please make it interactive.  We need to be able to print with all the classes showing and then we need to be able to select specific courses and print those.  This would help greatly with keeping up in classes. Thanks!!!!

pristined
Community Novice

have an option to print the calendar so that people will have an option to print as pdf or whatever option they want.

lovinradar
Community Novice

It would be so awesome if I could print my child's calendar for assignments instead of having to rewrite the calendar.