Add groups to differentiated assignments

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Idea will be open for vote May 5th, 2015 - August 5th, 2015  Learn more about voting...

It would be nice to have the ability to choose groups in the dropdown for differentiated assignments.  That way, you could have separate deadlines for group projects within the same assignment.  And even better, you could add a student to a group if she needs extended time turning in an assignment!

Comments from Instructure

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas.

For more information, please read through the Canvas Production Release Notes (2016-03-12)

59 Comments
kenneth_wilson
Community Novice

Yes, please implement this and however it is implemented, please make it easy to add students to a particular group.  The current process under differentiated students works okay for 1 to several students but would require entering each students name and isn't worth doing for a large class with several groups.  An effective approach is to have a process with two boxes: the one on the left includes all students and you then highlight students on the left and drag or click on an arrow to move them to the box on the right, which becomes the student in the created group.  Or something similar.

jsparks
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hello Canvas Family,

We are beginning to think about how we could best accomplish this task.  There are several process issues related to implementation over which we're noodling. The good news is there is some progress here.  More to come as I am able to share.

Jason

James_Kocher_UF
Community Champion

Thank you for the update!!

hardinm
Community Contributor

I want this so much! We integrate with Powerschool, and our sections are our actual section numbers in Powerschool. There is no efficient way to differentiate assignments within a section. I would love to be able to assign different assignments to different groups.

benjamin_denne
Community Novice

This would be a huge help to us as well.  We have a course of 205 band students, 18 of which are percussionists.  In order to make different wind percussion assignments we have to add 187 names individually.  Please add this feature soon!

Thanks!

laura_herrmann
Community Novice

I would LOVE to see this feature in Canvas.  Right now I have students working at many different instructional levels and would like to assign different assignments to different students.  Right now, I have to manually type in 74 students names to one assignment, and 12 in the other.  To me, this is essential for differentiation.  I would like to be able to type in the name of a group in order to assign something to those students.  Please add this feature soon!!

frankel
Community Champion

Deactivated user -- how goes the noodling about differentiated assignments by groups?  Inquiring minds want to know. 😉

jsparks
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

staytuned.jpg

kona
Community Champion

Really?? Really??? Smiley Happy

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

Tis the Season in Community: Act 2​ mentions something about a short list to come later.....