Add identifiable watermarks to downloads

0 Likes
(3)

I post homework and solutions as PDF files for my students to download.  Inevitably they end up on chegg or other online spaces against my explicit instructions.  I'd like to be able to add a watermark to downloaded files displaying the username of the user who downloaded the file so that these uploads can be traced, which would hopefully be enough of a deterrent to prevent it from happening in the first place.  

4 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

@peter_beyersdor 

Thanks for sharing this idea. As it moves forward for broader conversation, you might be interested in trying out an HTML workaround that is meant to disable downloading of the PDF altogether (I haven't used it myself, but others have employed it successfully):

<p style="font-size: 0px;"><a class="auto_open instructure_scribd_file" href="https://community.canvaslms.com/courses/YOUR COURSE NUMBER/files/YOUR FILE NUMBER/download" data-api-endpoint="https://YOUR INSTITUTION.instructure.com/api/v1/courses/YOUR COURSE NUMBER/files/YOUR FILE NUMBER" data-api-returntype="File">this text does not appear</a></p>

ElearningSuppor
Community Member

Students are posting course work to Chegg and/or Course Hero in droves.  While there are different ways and means to prevent students from cheating (scaffolding assignments/authentic assessment), Can a watermark containing a student number or profile be created, when students download an assignment document, so they are easily identified when information is posted on Chegg or Course Hero? 

Instructors create new content every semester, only to find their answers/documents/course work posted to Chegg or Course Hero. 

It would be great if Canvas could have a box that can be checked in an assignment enabling a large/obnoxious watermark with student profile information for all the world to see.

While we can't stop cheating from happening.  This would be a huge deterrent...and selling point of your LMS. 

Thank you!

Mike Sullivan
Director, eLearning
Middlesex College

parky
Community Member

Please!!  I really need this. 

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Archived

Thank you for sharing this idea with the Instructure Community!

The Product Team reviewed all feature proposals recently, and unfortunately, this thread was identified as one that they would not be able to include in their current or future plans. While we appreciate your proposal, we also want to be transparent about the likelihood of something like this making it to production.

Thank you for collaborating, and we hope that you submit another idea in the future!