Add "Item Bank" as a permission option

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

For more information, please read through the  Canvas Release Notes (2021-06-19).

With the June 19th update, all persons with an account-level role by default have the ability to view and edit all item banks within the system.

Our institution needs a permission be added to control this ability instead of it being available by default, such as the "question bank view and list" permission.

My suggestion is 1 permission for "Item Banks Access" with two options:

1 - view access to all item banks in the system

2 - edit access to all item banks in the system

Benefits:

This would ensure that only the proper persons have the ability to view and edit item banks.

Risk mitigation: Our institution, like others, has non-admin persons using account-level roles which makes it a risk to have full item bank access given to those persons.

6 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

amaturo
Community Explorer

I would also like the ability to lock question banks or item banks in blueprint, and/or the ability to import a QTI file or transfer a course question/item bank to the account level.

breklis
Community Participant

Yes, yes, yes!  

We also have several instructors with admin privileges to assist in student support (all SpED case managers, etc.).  They now have access to all item banks, district-wide and can easily edit or delete other instructors' item banks without realizing they are deleting these not only from their accounts but from other users as well.  At least one of my item banks was removed by someone.  This needs to be fixed urgently.

This is also a huge test security issue.  Our instructors are going to be very upset to learn that so many other users now have access to their assessment questions.  Item banks should not be automatically shared with all admin users. 

Please provide information for how to un-share item banks across our institution.  I contacted Canvas support about this already and they directed me to the community.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Completed
Comments from Instructure

Item banks can be shared with the entire account as well as one or more courses. Additionally, item banks can be shared as view only. This change allows item bank editors to increase collaboration and disseminate quiz content in either a view-only or edit permission state.

For more information, please read through the  Canvas Release Notes (2021-06-19).

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Completed