Add "Lock until date" to content pages

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

This would add a level of control from the module to what is contained in them.

Having a lock on module availability is great but sometimes I would like to control when the contents of a module is seen. Availability dates for quizzes in modules is an obvious requirement. Why not have control for visibility of content pages?

Example: I have a "Study notes" module with a content page for every topic I lecture on. Each page contains study materials. I prefer not to let students see ALL materials at once so I have to remember to publish each content page when the time comes. Of course I forget once in a while. If I could set each of those pages to appear when needed, my worries would be over.

Thanks for your consideration.

41 Comments
aday
Community Explorer

i would also like to see this feature added

teacher8
Community Member

I teach in a block schedule format so I have some sections of my course on Monday and others on Tuesday.  I love the fact that in assignments I can set the availability dates so that Monday students see the assignment on Monday and Tuesday students don't see the assignment until Tuesday.  It would be great if the available from/to feature was added to pages

bethany_widman
Community Member

I agree with everyone here. I have block scheduling on separate days and use pages within my modules to organize content. Since my classes are crosslisted, it links all the info. together.I don't want my B day students working ahead on material that has been presented to A day students. However, I do want my A day students to be able to access the material for homework and review purposes. 

Please add a feature so we can control when each course can view the page just like it is on assignments. 

MEGANMILLER
Community Novice

It would be nice to schedule a Page just like you are able to an Assignment.

martinem
Community Member

Seriously? the suggestion for having a lock for pages is from 2015 and still hasn't happened?

Have you thought that we organize content by module in which a module may be covered in several weeks and we don't want to have X number of modules that relate to the same topic just because there is no way I can finish the content on a Sunday and not having the students asking things that should not be available until Monday?

wschilling
Community Member

I am absolutely baffled by this key feature that is missing from Canvas.  I have an assignment due tonight at midnight.  At 12:01, after the assignment is due, I want the students to have access to the answers so they can start studying.  The answers are in a pdf file.  It seems like it should be so simple to set the availability of that file to start after midnight.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: In Development
  Comments from Instructure

This idea is In Development. Please watch this thread for updates.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: On Beta

For more information, please read through the Canvas Release Notes (2022-10-15)

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Completed

For more information, please read through the Canvas Release Notes (2022-12-17) 

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New