[Inbox] Add rich-content editor to Conversations

As a user, I would like to be able to use the rich-content editor to compose messages in the Conversations inbox. This would enable me to create Conversations that are on par, formatting- and content-wise, with Announcements. (Students seem to read Conversations messages more diligently than Announcements.)

transferred from the old Community

Originally posted by: Mia Nolan

Special thanks for contributions by: Stefanie Sanders

230 Comments
ClaireDeMarco
Community Novice

The Inbox messages in Canvas should have more features. Primarily, the ability to add links seems necessary in order to be able to direct students to particular assignments, pages, or files. Other features usually available in the rich content editor should be added to messages, such as being able to insert a table.

I'm a middle school teacher and I would like to be able to send my students personalized monthly grade updates. If I were able to insert a table, I could show students all of their assignments and what they scored. Then, if the assignment names actually hyperlinked to the assignments, students would easily be able to re-do or make up assignments that they failed.

Thank you for considering.

KS10
Community Member

I agree! Rich Content Editor would be so helpful in Canvas Messaging. Especially text formatting (bold, italics, color, etc.) AND the ability to hyperlink!

klatour
Community Member

I was just thinking about this, and now I see this has been an idea for 5 years and nothing has been done? We can't even add italics to emphasize words in email messages, let alone embed images. This should be upgraded!

judd_curran
Community Member

Hi Klatour,

Exactly!  This is the insanity of the failed Instructure approach to solving problems in Canvas.  Sure, have the users direct improvements.  But, where's the team of developers within Instructure that can logically recognize obvious fixes and implement them right away.  The notion that we have to wait for enough community activity before action is taken can result in critical fixes not being addressed for years simply because the users have no time to spend monitoring and contributing to Canvas development.  It is only out of desperation when something isn't working that a post is made generally speaking for most users.

Ugh!

Judd

hutchinsd
Community Member

PLEASE make course links a part of composing a message in the Inbox.  Many times (especially now when have of my students are remote) my messages are students asking where to find something or what they need is already on a page or file in their course.  But I can't just link to theme were to go or what they need.  Instead I spend much to long taking screen shots to show them where to go.

Please add linking ability (like what is in announcements) to the messages in Inbox.

cgifford1
Community Explorer

The enhanced RCE would benefit our instructors greatly when communicating with their students.  Please add this feature.  We want our instructors to use Inbox as opposed to personal or institution email accounts.  We want the record to be kept on Canvas, not in someone's email that may or may not be accessible down the road.

Thanks!

kikimax
Community Member

WHAT WILL IT TAKE FOR YOU GUYS TO COME ALONG TO THE 21st CENTURY AND IMPLEMENT A RICH TEXT EDITOR WITH AND FOR THE INBOX EMAIL COMMUNICATOR?

It's cannot be THAT complicated! Blackboard Communicator offers and has been offering for quite a while the same formatting features for both, Announcements AND the Email communicator. Your "Inbox" system is only offering ASCII option. WHY? Why wouldn't you offer the Rich Text editor to both, since they are running on the same platform and environment? It is a simple matter of installing a Javascript Rich Editor module with the Inbox and does not require a Rocket Science degree.

Did it occur to any of you that sometimes, we as instructors would like to highlight and make things stand out when we contact our students communities?

Signed,

A Tech-Savvy and Disgruntled Professor

kikimax
Community Member

It cannot be THAT complicated! Blackboard Communicator offers and has been offering for quite a while the same formatting features for both, Announcements AND the Email communicator. Your "Inbox" system is only offering ASCII option. WHY? Why wouldn't you offer the Rich Text editor to both, since they are running on the same platform and environment? It is a simple matter of installing a Javascript Rich Editor module with the Inbox and that, I know for a fact, does not require a Rocket Science degree. I am surprised by your lack of "in-touch" with your users and their requirements.

jbrunner
Community Novice

Oh my yes! Our district just began using Canvas and I would really like to have that rich content editor feature available in the email section.

michael_deschry
Community Explorer

This is basic stuff!!! Please Canvas, do your job and implement RCE for the Inbox!!!