[Inbox] Add rich-content editor to Conversations

As a user, I would like to be able to use the rich-content editor to compose messages in the Conversations inbox. This would enable me to create Conversations that are on par, formatting- and content-wise, with Announcements. (Students seem to read Conversations messages more diligently than Announcements.)

transferred from the old Community

Originally posted by: Mia Nolan

Special thanks for contributions by: Stefanie Sanders

230 Comments
mfm0003
Community Participant

This would be great. I'm logged in but can't vote. Not sure what's up with that.

MrE19
Community Novice

I just wanted to put in a request to have a math formula editor embedded into the private messaging app on Canvas. An editor is available for discussion groups, but not private messages. It would be great to have this in order to better ask math questions and have questions answered coherently through private messaging.  This would be incredibly helpful for both students and teachers across the Canvas platform and across disciplines.

cmeyer42
Community Explorer

Content editor in Inbox

How is this idea request started in 2015 and has yet to be implemented at all?! PLEASE!!!! We need this ASAP.

ddiprenda
Community Member

Why are there no tools in Canvas email? I suddenly realized that there are no tools in Canvas email. I will nt repeat the excellent observations by colleagues.  How difficult can it be?

lcarroll2
Community Explorer

This idea would be so helpful by being able to draw students' attention to certain words or phrases in an email. We all skim and using styles such as bold and underline for links would be helpful. On that note, being able to hyperlink to a page, assignment, or external URL would be much more accessible than having to paste the entire URL. 

kikimax
Community Member

I sincerely wonder if ANYONE is working in Tech User Support anymore at Instructure. It seems like there is a request related to this topic almost every week and nobody, ABSOLUTELY NOBODY is paying attention. I am quite annoyed by the complete lack of professionalism and courtesy at Canvas. It feels more like utter INCOMPETENCE!

HEY, CANVAS/INSTRUCTURE PEOPLE!! IS ANYONE READING THIS STUFF!!?? DO YOU EVEN CARE WHAT YOUR USERS ARE SAYING!!?? **

** I wonder if I would start cussing, maybe THEN someone would say something, make a move or reply finally...

cgifford1
Community Explorer

Is it true these ideas/suggestions are ranked by the amount of activity/comments?  If we comment every day, will this idea move up the ranks and get noticed?  

It would be EXTREMELY HELPFUL to have the rich content editor in Inbox.  As it is, if a teacher wants to send a message, they're using email because they can underline and draw attention with bold or italics or different color or font or size.  Not so with Canvas Inbox.  It's just plain text and the message gets lost in sea of black and white.  It would also be extremely helpful to be able to link to pages, discussions, assignments, etc. 

This seems like a no-brainer.  For crying out loud, we have it right here in the comment box!  Maybe someone can explain why it's so difficult or so low on the priority list.  The RCE is available just about everywhere in Canvas except Inbox.  Why?

cgifford1
Community Explorer

Has everyone rated this conversation by clicking on the stars at the top of the page, under the idea title?  The number of stars indicates how important this idea is to you.  I gave it FIVE STARS! 

cgifford1_0-1604066796729.png

kikimax
Community Member

Yes, EVERYONE PLEASE RATE THIS CONVERSATION (using the stars system at the top) to try to bump up the overall number of ratings, such as someone at Instructure may have (or at least choose) to pay attention to the importance of this topic - see screenshot below.

Screen Shot 2020-10-30 at 2.38.43 PM.png

lwebster28
Community Member

Please add a rich text editor to Conversations!  It would be so nice to add emphasis to items I am communicating to my students.  I did finally figure out how to add a "tab" within a Conversations message. 😊

PLEASE ADD A RICH TEXT EDITOR TO CONVERSATIONS!!!