Add status indicators for Crocodoc feedback provided, viewed, not viewed

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas
  Idea will be open for vote Wed. September 2, 2015 - Wed. December 2, 2015  Learn more about voting...

Students are clicking on their papers to download them but are not clicking on the Feedback button to view comments provided in Crocodoc. This is a serious user interface flaw in that students are missing very important information from their instructors to inform learning and progress on future works.

One solution would be to add a status icon indicating when feedback has been provided via Crocodoc and both when it has and has not been viewed by the student. This would inform students and instructors alike regarding use of this wonder feature in Canvas. (See image.)

Thank you Canvas Team for always learning!

92245_Canvas-Feedback.pngCanvas-Feedback.png

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the Canvas Production Release Notes (2016-02-20)

30 Comments
KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

While this is related to ​, it is different! SpeedGrader annotation comments are aren't connected to the gradebook. This would absolutely amazing. Feedback is a tool which students need in order to continue their learning experiences. It encourages them to see beyond just the raw score.

mcohen
Community Explorer

This would be great.  I agree.

mcohen
Community Explorer

Kristin.  I am not able to vote.  There is no up or down button.  Mirelle

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

@mcohen ​, this current feature idea will be in a "holding tank" for a while. Community Managers will go through the new submissions and move ideas forward to the voting stage. At that point, the little vote up or vote down arrow with the vote count will appear underneath the title of the feature idea. It'll come, but be sure to check back for updates on the idea's status.

mcohen
Community Explorer

Will do, Kristin.

Mirelle Cohen Ph.D.

Coordinator of the Human Service & Chemical Dependency Professional Programs, Professor of Sociology

HSS344

Olympic College

1600 Chester Avenue

Bremerton, WA, 98337-1699

Tel: 360 475 7553

Fax: 253 503 3298

Email: mcohen@olympic.edu

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

Just FYI as each new idea comes in, we carefully review it and if necessary work with the person who submitted to refine it.  Sometimes people submit "kitchen sink" ideas that contain several ideas that should come in separately or people will mistakenly submit an idea that is already open for vote.  Then, on the first Tuesday of every month new ideas open for vote.  If you are curious, you can read more How does the voting process work for feature ideas?

Cheers,

SD

biray
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

This idea is now open for vote. Smiley Happy

maue890
Community Novice

This is a great idea.  I spent a good chunk of time earlier this term, creating a dummy assignment and rubric, then submitting the assignment as a Test Student, then going in as the instructor and providing feedback in different ways.  Then, in class, I took the students to the assignment to show them all the kinds of feedback they will be getting.  Did it help?  It's too early to judge from their work, but I would love to know via a status indicator whether they are now taking the time to look at the feedback I give.

hamptons
Community Novice

Very important, great additional step. We need to make sure the students review our feedback.

Beth_Young
Community Contributor

This is a great idea and I have voted for it!

In the meantime, I am hoping to try an idea that stefaniesanders​ shared in a different forum: Re: How do you give Extra Credit in your classroom? ​ She hides an extra credit assignment in her feedback to encourage students to read it. There's a lot of detail at that link. This idea won't work for every assignment, obviously, and it doesn't work if you never give extra credit, but I'm planning to use it on an assignment in the next couple of weeks. I'll be very interested to see how many of my students actually are reading my comments.