Add status "Incomplete" in grade book

0 Likes
(8)

I would like the grade book to have a status "Incomplete" in addition to none, late and missing. It would be very helpful for students to just see that color status and go back to the assignment and complete it. So far, I have been marking it as missing, giving students half credit for it, and they always write back saying they completed the assignment. An "Incomplete" will do it, and no one will write to teachers because they'll know what to do.

Thanks for considering it!

13 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

linnea_coon
Community Novice

I would like to see if we could add an incomplete status for grading. Sometimes a student submits an assignment, but they did not fully complete it. It would be nice to grade what they did complete, but also flag it as incomplete. 

ws6
Community Member

This is needed! I am also giving them the lower grade and leaving it marked as missing, but the students think it is an accident and ignore it. 

theresa_jarvis
Community Explorer

Still need this. It's really unacceptable that you have responded to the many people asking for this feature. 

DonSnedden
Community Novice

I agree completely.  There should be an option for why a student got a lower score on an assignment when they did not complete the entire assignment.  

dianeneal2
Community Member

I would like an option in the grade book to mark a graded item as "incomplete". If a student turns in an assignment that is only partially done, it would be helpful to be able to highlight that in some way, and possibly send it back to the student.

KatyBehnke
Community Member

The "Missing" "Late" and "Excused" are so helpful!! I love that it was added that we can label submissions while grading using speedgrader. However, it would be so awesome to add an additional label of "incomplete" to help students quickly identify assignments that need attention. It would be really great if we could add custom labels (up to a certain amount) that show up when students look at their grades.

Sometimes, students are not always looking at comment feedback so it is nice to have a clear identifier when they need to re-do an assignment.

Thank you Canvas!!

JerriannGarcia
Community Member

The options for SpeedGrader are helpful.

I would like to suggest another option  - Incomplete. I find myself entering that in the comments quite frequently and know that other teachers do as well.

Thank you,

Jerriann Garcia
Centennial High School
Las Cruces, NM

asmith34
Community Explorer

This is definitely needed as an extra option to help clarify for students the status of their assignment.

KimGeorge
Community Member

I think this is a related concern: I'm grading everything complete/ incomplete. When I assign a score of incomplete the missing icon disappears. 

But some assignments get submitted but they're incomplete. Other assignments are missing and that's why they're incomplete. I'm not sure why the icon can't stay regardless of whether the grade is entered. (It should only disappear when something is submitted.)

Now I have students emailing me to "get a list of missing assignments" because they're so used to that icon. 

I tried going through and manually adding "Missing" via the Grade detail tray, but this is way to labor intensive at this point.  

SherryeBiglow
Community Member

I totally agree.  Some of my assignments are completed in Canvas but the students' grades are there and I would love to let them know that the work is incomplete.

gmoralesbbns
Community Member

Is there a way for us to add our own statuses? I think that would be easier. Either allow an admin to create a global list of statuses or allow teachers to edit the statuses and name it whatever they want. 

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.