Add support for Japanese - Furigana

0 Likes
(3)

Japanese appears as a support language option which is great as our school teaches multiple series of Japanese language classes but there is not yet support for Furigana and in order for it to generate in Canvas, the only workaround is to allow for Ruby to be used in the HTML which we aren't able to do as our school does not have an option for this.

It would be helpful to provide additional rich text editor support to allow for this option.

Here's a past conversation but I don't currently see any idea conversation around it yet.

https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Question-Forum/Does-anyone-use-furigana-in-their-Japanese-course/... 

Melanie

6 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Moderating

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

naxerm
Community Member

Additionally, whenever I'm copying/pasting Japanese text that has furigana (from something like word or a pdf), the hiragana is transferred to parentheses next to each individual character, so that has to be adjusted manually for readability.

Example:

Text with furigana from word: Screen Shot 2020-10-01 at 8.24.39 AM.png

Copied and pasted from word: 相(そう)談(だん)

More readable version: 相談(そうだん)

megan_horikawa
Community Participant

Yes! Furigana support please!

EMIKO-K
Community Member

I'd love to have easy ways to put furigana. HTML coding for every kanji word is too labor intensive.

Currently I am typing on Word to use their furigana function to reduce my keystrokes, and then convert the document to PDF and embed it into the Page, setting it to open by default.

BUT it is not the same as being able to type directly into Canvas with furigana. I cannot integrate other functions that Canvas page offers on PDF.

Thanks for considering.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Archived

Thank you for sharing this idea with the Instructure Community!

The Product Team reviewed all feature proposals recently, and unfortunately, this thread was identified as one that they would not be able to include in their current or future plans. While we appreciate your proposal, we also want to be transparent about the likelihood of something like this making it to production.

Thank you for collaborating, and we hope that you submit another idea in the future!