Add the ability to choose which tools to allow in the Rich Content Editor.

0 Likes
(2)

It would be great to be able to limit or choose the tools that show on Canvas Quizzes.  Students can use the Link, Picture, Media and Document upload tools as a means to access materials to cheat on the quiz.  Those tools pose a test security problem.

5 Comments
Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Open

ezaurova
Community Participant

I can't believe I never thought of that!  Clever of the students, and definitely something that should be addressed.

DanBurgess
Community Participant

I agree with @ezaurova, not something I would have thought of. 

@TonniePack, is there something about the availability of the tools that allows students access in a context that they would not otherwise be able to do?  For instance, is it a way of defeating tools that lock down the browser to prevent access to other programs?  

TonniePack
Community Member
Author

Yeah students are basically beta testers for all test security.  We are not currently using a lock down browser for several reasons.  We allow students to access quizzes in Canvas using the common web browsers.  The problem was noticed when students were completing an essay question in New Quizzes.  Because the upload tools allow for directory navigation, students can get to any document or file that they have access to on their computer. 

Students do not have access to the document upload but do have access to Picture, Media and Link.  The Picture is the most problematic as it will display the image immediately in the text.  All students need to do is upload screen shots of any text or web page they want.  After viewing the image, simply delete the picture and no one will know.  

RCE Allowed toolsRCE Allowed tools

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.