Adding a New Assignments Feature - Multiple Text Entries Option

0 Likes

Hi there!

I have been working through a course redesign for an instructor who suggested a feature that I thought worth passing along for some conversation. What they are looking for is the potential to have multiple text box entries for multiple questions for an essay style assignment (which she has built in quizzes as present to preserve that kind of look), but without the time counting function of quizzes, even ones that are untimed. Is it possible that I am missing the potential to produce this in what already exists?

Thanks in advance for guidance and help!

Cheers,

Sarah

3 Comments
KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Open

Hi @dove76ca 

This is currently not available. In the past, I used Quizzes in the same way -- I wanted multiple essays to be presented in a predictable, well-organized manner. I removed the timer and it worked well. I added a line in the instructions that highlighted the Assignment Group so it was clear what type of assessment/activity the students were really working on. Why does your colleague want to avoid the use of Quizzes to house the activities? (I'm curious!)

I opened up this idea for conversation because the feature does not currently as exist as requested.

elkreutzer
Community Member

It would be wonderful to be able to create an assignment that has associated with it multiple components, such as multiple text entry boxes, instead of having to repurpose quizzes to accomplish this.

Right now, when I have an assignment with multiple questions associated with it, I have to post a template with the questions that the students answer, and then turn in as a document.  I am unable to grade each answer separately unless I post my feedback as a whole in the feedback box for the whole assignment.

If each question in the assignment had points and feedback boxes associated with them, then I could more easily and directly provide feedback and assign points to the answers.

Though quizzes allow similar functionality, it is confusing for the students, and creates churn regarding the difference between assignments and quizzes.

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.