Adding multiple LTI links to courses

Not every LTI provider provides the list of launch URLs for LTI accessible content as pre-formatted modules/common cartridge files.  When I have a list of links and title information that comes from a single LTI provider, there needs to be a way to bulk add the links to the module.  

Perhaps a dialogue that allows the pasting of csv content (title, link, new window) that could be used to quickly build the modules from external source material.

6 Comments
Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

@jhyatt  

I've run this by the partnership team, and we're not quite sure what you're asking for here?

Can you maybe define the workflow you are trying to accomplish.  Or maybe even what you are doing now to achieve the outcome  you're looking for?  This will help us understand the use case.  Thanks.

awilliams
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hey  @jhyatt , thanks for your idea! If I haven't missed the idea, I think a way to add many External URL items to a module at once would be very useful even if LTIs aren't involved. It would be a bit more involved than pasting unfortunately because certain things need to be set (Name and Opens in a New Tab for instance).  

In the meantime, I was trying to think of some workarounds for you. I'll start with the quickest. What if you included all the links in a Content Page or document (Google/MS/PDF) and included that in the module? Perhaps most robust, someone could write custom code to interact with the API and make this possible. I believe the necessary endpoints are in place.

Thanks again!

jhyatt
Community Novice

The screen shot was an example of the LTI launch urls provided by Shmoop.com<http://Shmoop.com> to link directly to the resources they have listed. There are easily 40,000 different resource links, and after doing the filtering of the links that I want to use in the course shells I am creating, I still have to one at a time create the Module > External Tool links in my course shells, while I have them all in a format that I would much prefer to cut and paste without introducing user/cut and paste errors as we do these one at a time.

Does that help? Should this be added to my idea entry?

jhyatt
Community Novice

My understanding of the LTI launch URLs that have been provided is that they must be added in connection to the KEY and SECRET that is part of the external tool setup in the course or account settings.

At least for these links, adding them as is to a document would generate an error from the LTI provider because they aren’t connected to that KEY and SECRET.

Regarding the API writing — it is possible that in the future the LTI provider would provide something else simpler — but the timing and $ won’t allow me to pursue that in the short term.

awilliams
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Thank you for this further explanation. It wasn't clear to me at first this was limited to URLs requiring a key and secret.

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.