Adjust Modules by Grading Period

0 Likes
(1)

I would like to toggle modules quarterly like I can with assignments.  Once I change the "All Grading Periods" bar to a quarter it brings me to only the assignments that I assigned during that grading period.  With modules, the list continues to grow and there's no "blank slate" when the quarter changes.

7 Comments
KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

Hi @gsonsalla - You're correct. With MGP, there's no blank slate. You have some options though.

When you minimize a module, it stays "closed" between visits yet can be a nice resource for students as they review past material. Students would likely need to be coached to minimize the module, but that's a quick tutorial from browser and/or mobile.

Alternatively, you could add the term "archive" to a module and move it to the bottom of your list. That way the modules you need *now* are featured prominently.

Unpublishing modules are an option, but it could be tricky if anything is referenced in other places or if students navigate to content from a past announcement or the grades page.

Would any of these options work for you? Let us know, and the Community will be here to collaborate. 👍

ctitmus
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

gsonsalla
Community Member

Thanks, klundstrum.

Your right for students it's easy to clean their slate of modules each quarter by unpublishing them.  I would like to clear my slate of modules quarterly.  I create modules for each day of teaching, and every time that one is made it goes directly to the bottom.  Then I have to navigate it up. 

Thanks for replying though,

Greg

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

Would deleting a module help? I know you mentioned making a module per day (that's a lot of work!), so I wonder if you could group those together in a bigger module and then use text headers within it to divide by day or week. Then, at the end of a quarter, the deleting would take less time. 

Just more thoughts in the meantime. 🙂

gsonsalla
Community Member

K,

I deleted the first quarter and second quarter ones because I was not syncing them to our current platform (Infinite Campus).  This is the first year of Canvas.  It's basically being used because the district didn't like Google Classroom (Complaints from parents). But now this quarter I have to sync gradebooks.  I am not a 100% sure but I believe that I would be impacteding grades that have transferred if I delete modules.  I did have thoughts of doing one of your suggestions though. The one with having weekly modules instead of daily (our daily during virtual is twice a week due to hybrid model).

Thanks for your help!

Greg

MattHanes
Community Champion

i really like the idea of being able to assign Modules to a grading period for purposes of reducing the size of the list. Kind of like the assignments screen. Although it appears the assignment screen still loads all the assignments in the background even if a Period is selected. With the number assignments and modules created in K-12, these page load times are really long for some courses.

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.