Adjust all assignment and quiz dates on a single page

The Problem:

Managing dates one item at a time is tedious when you are planning an entire semester. This is true for new classes, but also for existing classes since the ability to globally adjust imported dates never works for the way my institution designs new semesters.

I would like a spreadsheet format that shows all date related events on one page. I could then set up all events and synchronize them where necessary. This could be an online form, or the ability to download a csv template and reupload the dates.

I have attached a simplified snapshot of this kind of spreadsheet.

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Please read through the Ready Release Notes (2020-04-18) 

172 Comments
Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
  Idea is currently in Product Radar Learn more about this stage...

scain
Community Contributor

I expect it's already been considered, but on the off-chance it hasn't...wouldn't the assignment list on the Syllabus page be an ideal place for this function to live? It's already intended to be a scheduled breakdown of all class responsibilities, it even shows the due dates already. If the teacher view could just adjust that (along with the available from and to dates), would that fulfill this need for everyone else?

bsr
Community Contributor

Sure. I don't really care where it resides, just that it comes into existence somewhere. I can learn the path to it, wherever they put it!

careysmith
Community Participant

You've got to have bulk editing features. Even Desire2Learn has that, and Canvas is supposed to be an improvement. Also Pearson's MyMathLab, MyStatLab have that. Bulk editing is a basic feature. My course has over 200 questions. When I change from one semester to the next, I need something efficient.

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

Those of you interested in this feature might also be interested in Adjust All Assignment Dates on One Page

scain
Community Contributor

Well, this is frustrating news. When I attended the OLC conference in Orlando I learned about the drag-and-drop features in the calendar. I specifically asked if it would update the availability dates accordingly and was reassured that it does, but I just tested it with a sandbox and it definitely does not. If they'd just solve the availability dates issue with the calendar function that would work just fine for my purposes.

kathy_arnold
Community Novice

I am looking at the Adjust All Assignment Dates on One Page and plan to try it but after going through 1 class tonight  putting in 23 due dates, 23 available dates and so on for 23 assignments it sure would be nice if canvas would create a location where all of the assignments are listed and next to each assignment are the small interactive calendars for each chouice so you don't have to open assignments page, then the single assignment , and then after 2 pages open a 3rd page edit then click two or three calendar areas...I also tried this from the Grades area and it is the same.

I'm sure it could be done. Please please dear engineers 🙂

If I am wrong about the process I am currently using, please let me know.

Otherwise will do the Adjust All Assignment Dates on One Page / I guess i could use it for each semester so it might be worth it in the long run.

Thank you everyone!!

vivies
Partner
Partner

We have created an LTI app (Adjust-All HQ) that integrates tightly with Canvas and offers instructors the ability to adjust all course dates and settings in one place! We'll be including more features soon (i.e. deleting, muting/unmuting, etc. in BULK).

Installed in ALL the courses in your organization’s Canvas instance, it helps instructors work more efficiently and create better organized courses.

For more info on the app, see: https://etudes.org/products/adjust-allhq/

User guide with screen shots: https://etudes.org/products/adjust-allhq/user-guide/

Beth_Young
Community Contributor

I just tried this for the first time and can't get my assignment dates to load. Smiley Sad  At some point I was asked for permissions, which I gave, and I do get "running script" and "script finished" messages, but no magic happens in the Dates spreadsheet. It just stays blank except for the Canvas Course ID I entered into cell A1. I thought maybe the problem was that my assignments were muted, so I unmuted a couple of them but still had no luck loading dates.

I'm crunched for time, as I imagine we all are, and will just adjust dates the old-fashioned way, but someday,  @James ​, if you have a chance to send me some trouble-shooting advice, I'd be grateful.

James
Community Champion

@Beth_Young ​,

You posted this in a discussion from a long time ago, so I'm not sure if you're trying to follow the instructions here or if you found the new version and just put the comment here.

Anyway, try the document Adjust All Assignment Dates on One Page and see if you still have the problem. There is a lot of documentation on that page that's not here.

I just (as I'm writing this) verified that it's working for me.